Chapter 14: Goodbye

Mason's POV:

"Now let's go".

Picking up my bag from underneath the bed that was always packed with essentials in case of emergencies such as this I headed to the door but turned around hearing only silence.

Juliette was sat on the bed cross legged with her arms crossed across her chest.

"What do you think you're doing?" I growled unimpressed with her stubbornness that as a result could get me caught.

"Sitting. What about you?" She retorted back with a smug expression.

"Stop playing games Juliette. We're leaving. Now". Running over to the wardrobe, I grabbed at all her clothes and stuffed them into a small bag along with all her fake identification I had made for her.

"You go ahead, I think I'll just take a nap right here". Juliette laid down on the bed and closed her eyes with a smile on her face.

I had no time for her childish games. The police would be here any time soon and I couldn't risk them taking her away from me, not after all we had been through.

"Don't say I didn't warn you".

Before Juliette could open her eyes, I scooped my arms under her body and threw her over my shoulder along with our bags.

"HEY! Let go of me" she screamed in my ear.

Does she ever stop screaming. By this rate I'll have no hearing left.

Instead of responding to my little banshee, I carried on walking through the house that had housed so many memories, but now that I had Juliette, nothing else mattered. She carried on screaming begging for me to let her go, but I wouldn't. I couldn't.

Carrying her out to the car door, I opened up the rear door and gently placed her down inside the car.

"Get me out of here now!".

Slamming the door I stared at my angel banging on the window helplessly screaming for help, but there was nothing she could do.

I had already locked the car doors so she had no escape route. I could hear her muffled cursing as she kicked at the glass, but it was useless.

Ensuring the front doors were locked I ran back to the house and grabbed the canister of petrol and poured it over all the furniture ensuring that the house would be burnt down to nothing. By the time the police get here, there'd be nothing left.

Pulling out a matchbox, I struck up a match and stared at the small flame before letting it fall to the floor.

Everything caught alight. Papers, pictures, books, everything.

Hurrying out of the burning house, I unlocked the front door of the car and threw in our bags on the passenger seat. Locking all the doors I switched on the engine without giving Juliette as much as a glance and sped away from the house.

"What is that smell?" She yelled out and looked back at the now burning house.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" She cried as the house became engulfed in flames.

"Leaving my old memories behind and making new ones".

———————————

David's POV:

Rosa and the doctor had sedated me, but thankfully I had woken up. But what I woke up to shattered my heart. I could hear Rosa screaming on the phone calling out our BabyGirl's name.

Was she alive? Or was Rosa crying out in frustration. I didn't know. Nobody would tell me anything. Nobody would tell me of my daughter's whereabouts.

I failed as a father. I failed to protect the person I vowed to keep forever safe. My BabyGirl, my princess was missing and no one knew where she was. I could feel myself deteriorating day by day at the thought of my baby being so far away. She was meant to come home. She was meant to be here in my arms. But she wasn't.

All I saw was darkness. My once bursting with life wife was now nothing but an empty shell. And the young bright girl who carried light with her was gone. There was no light when she was missing.

I knew she hadn't run off, they tried to suggest it but I knew my daughter. She had everything in life, so why would she run away. I had a gut instinct, a parental intuition that someone had taken my baby away from me. I wanted to hunt whoever it was down and kill them in a merciless way, but I knew I couldn't. I could barely move.

My vision began to turn blurry and my senses dulled as a very sharp and excruciating pain tore through my heart. Could this be the feeling of loss and heartbreak. I didn't know, but I could feel my soul slipping away as the darkness clouded my vision.

———————————

Rosa's POV:

"David, I've brought you some lunch".

My hands were still shaky from the call I had received from Juliette. She was alive, but she was in danger. Someone had taken her. Perhaps this was step closer to finding her. Perhaps we could track the location of the number and find her and-

"David?" I called out wondering why he hadn't woken up.

"DAVID?". Dropping the bowl of soup I sprinted over towards my husband who looked extremely pale and held my hand on his forehead.

"DAVID WAKE UP". I shook him gently at first wondering if he was still groggy or sedated, but he didn't move.

Resting my finger against his neck, I checked frantically for a pulse, but there was none.

"DAVID PLEASE WAKE UP!"

Grabbing the phone out of my pocket, I frantically dialled 999 whilst trying to get David to talk.

"Hello, what's your emergency?"

"H-Hi, my husband is not breathing".

"Okay ma'am an ambulance crew is on location to you but I'm going to need you to follow these instructions on the phone, Okay?".

"O-Ok" I sniffled whilst putting the phone on loud speaker.

"I'm going to need you to start CPR on your husband until the ambulance gets to your location. Do you understand".

"Y-Yeah".

In my years as a nurse I never thought I'd have to do CPR on my husband.

"Come on David, don't you dare give up on me". I sobbed whilst giving him chest compressions. He couldn't give up now, not when we were a step closer to finding our BabyGirl.

"YOU HEAR ME, DON'T GIVE UP. KEEP FIGHTING FOR OUR DAUGHTER". The tears poured heavily down my cheeks as my husband's lifeless body continued to move with the force of my chest compresses.

Blue flashing lights beamed in from outside the window and I could hear banging from the front door, but I wasn't going to stop for even a second. They could smash it down for all I cared, I was not going to stop CPR.

Thankfully the door burst open and in stepped 2 paramedics who instantly rushed over to me and urged me to let them take over.

Stumbling back away from my lifeless husband, I watched as the paramedics switched from CPR to using a defibrillator and then switched back. They called out to David in hopes of getting a response, but there was nothing.

I sobbed my heart out as I slumped down to the floor with my head in my hands. I couldn't bear it anymore. My daughter was taken and my husband slipping away from me. Life was cruel.

5 Minutes went by as the paramedics kept up the CPR and defibrillator. They weren't giving up and neither was I.

I began to think about life before Juliette was taken and life before David's cancer and how it was perfect. But it's funny how life can turn upside down.

"Ma'am".

I hadn't even realised that I had completely zoned out from reality. I must have been out of it for some time. I looked up to see one of the paramedics standing with his head bowed down and the other putting her equipment away.

"I'm so sorry. There was nothing more we could do".