Chapter 19: Bath

Juliette's POV:

Locking the bathroom door, I double checked I had by twisting the handle to ensure he would not walk in. Staring at myself in the large bathroom mirror I stared at my reflection with no thought of feeling in my mind. The girl looking back at me was not recognisable. This girl was exhausted, mentally and physically. She had bags under her eyes from all the nights she had cried. Her body looked frail to touch and bones were starting to protrude. This girl looked as though her world had been completely destroyed. But this girl was me.

Slipping the oversized shirt down off my body, it sunk off my skin before collapsing on the floor like a dress. My skin was blotchy, dry and puffy but as I stared at my ghostly reflection, I ran my hand along my stomach to the marks I had inflicted on myself every night. Painful reminders of my nails digging across my stomach to take away the mental pain of all I had lost, all I had taken away from me. I scratched myself relentlessly wanting to erase the smell of his body and the memories of his hands touching me.

"Juliette, you okay in there?" Mason's soft voice called out from behind the bathroom door.

"Y-Yes". I tried to compose my voice in attempts to reassure him, for I knew he would want to be with me if he knew how broken I felt.

"Okay sunshine, if you need help just call for me".

You can't anyway. The door is locked.

I opened my mouth to respond to him, but no sound could come out. Slipping my underwear off I dipped my fingers into the beautiful lilac coloured water and scooped up some of the foam bubbles and watched as the light shined through them reflecting onto the water almost making a rainbow.

Ensuring the temperature was not too hot, I shakily lifted my leg up and dipped it into the water before slowly moving my whole body into the tub and sinking down into the bath water.

A quiet whimper escaped out of my mouth as the hot water made instant contact with the scratches I had inflicted on my body. He must have put some salts in the bath as my scratches started to sting unbearably. Clamping a hand over my mouth, I bit my finger harshly to try to control the pain that was now coursing through  my body.

The pain was too much. The salts against my skin were harsh, but the pain and grief of losing my father was harsher. I had locked it away and kept it hidden. I didn't want Mason to see me in this vulnerable and helpless state, it would only make me seem more delicate and he will want to watch over me and take care of me.

Uncontrollable sobs broke out of my body and like a dam, everything came crashing down.

"Juliette?".

I could hear his voice in the distance shouting and calling out for me, but he was like a distant echo, I couldn't respond. The sheer force of my sobs was unlike anything I had ever experienced. Never had the tears flowed out of my eyes so fast and so uncontrollably.

The sound of someone banging something grew louder and louder, but I couldn't focus on where it was coming from. I could barely see straight from the pain coursing through every inch of my body.

Suddenly the door burst open tilting to the side with the hinges bent. Mason stormed in with concern plastered on his face. He looked down and kneeled before the bathtub with his head tilted to the side.

"Sweetheart, please don't cry. What's"-

Mason looked down at the bath to see me clutching my stomach. Little streams of red rose to the surface probably from the irritation of the salts and soaps.

"M-My stomach"-

Mason grabbed a towel and gestured for me to stand up. I watched as he closed his eyes and held the towel out to me. Quickly taking the opportunity, I stood up and wrapped my naked body up in the towel ensuring he wouldn't see any part of me.

"Are you decent love?" Mason whispered out with his eyes still shut.

"Yes".

Mason's eyes flew open and carefully guided me over to sit on the lid of the toilet seat. Mason passed me my top with his eyes shut and I quickly threw the flimsy material back onto my body.

Once getting permission to look, Mason tucked my lower half with a towel before staring at my covered stomach.

"May I?".

Nodding at his request, I stared up at the broken door as Mason lifted my shirt up slowly. I expected some sort of disgusted remark or sound of annoyance, but instead Mason pulled my shirt back down and stood up before walking back towards the bath.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched him empty out the soaps and salts before running the bath again. This time with only a little bit of bubble bath but thankfully no salts. Mason knew what to do and said nothing as he rolled his sleeves up and ensured the water was the right temperature, hopefully not too hot.

Checking on the bath water, Mason walked over to his bag and pulled out a small green box. Pulling out a big ish box, he ripped open the box and pulled out a large looking plaster.

"This is completely waterproof sunshine, no soap or water will touch your scratches". Mason looked at my stomach before looking at my eyes and asked for permission to place the plaster on my body.

After giving him a single nod, Mason lifted up my shirt and expertly placed the plaster over my scratches and smoothed it down ensuring there were no creases.

"Let's get you cleaned up baby".

Mason switched the water off and gestured for me to get into the bath.

A swarm of uncertainty clouded my mind as he stood up and faced away from me with his hands covering up his eyes.

Slipping the towel off my lower body and carefully throwing the top off over my head, I headed towards the bath and quietly got inside not liking the idea of Mason seeing me naked.

Mason stayed with his back turned for 10 more seconds until he was certain that I was completely sat in the bathtub.

Mason sat on the lid of the toilet and faced my direction looking at me with a sad smile.

Gathering up all the soap suds that I could, I curled my body into a small ball in hopes he wouldn't see any intimate areas of my body. Thankfully, the bathtub was large and the water rose to my shoulders.

"Hey, it's okay. I can't see anything baby. I just want to help you".

Mason picked up a small bowl and dipped it into the water before gently pouring the warm water on my hair. A small sigh of content escaped my mouth as his fingers began to move on my achy head in a circular motion. He was always so delicate and gentle with me. I could tell he cared for me, and if we had met in another way, then I'm sure I would have fallen for him.

But he was a kidnapper. I could never be with someone like that, no matter how hard they tried to be good.