Chapter 34: Broken childhood

Juliette

I had hit a nerve.

As soon as I mentioned family his eyes turned sad. He must have endured so much anguish, for the pain in his eyes was overwhelming. From a cool and collective man, he turned almost innocent like a child, a raw pain tearing him from the inside out.

He hadn't said a word, but I already felt sorry for him. I knew something must have happened to turn him into such a controlling cold hearted kidnapper. I knew there was more to him that I did not know.

"Mason".

His eyes looked in the opposite direction, trying to hide his emotions away from me, but he wasn't doing a good job. His body trembled, his hands were gripping his black trousers and his breath grew uneven.

What more could I do? What more could I say? I wanted him to open up to me and share his pain. I wanted to understand the man I was living with, the man I was starting to like, the man who loved me still.

Without thought, I reached over and grabbed his large cold hand. Mason jumped back at my sudden gesture and shuffled away from me.

"Don't push me away Mason. I-I understand if you don't want to talk about it, but I want you to know that I'm here".

"I don't deserve that" he whispered as he stared down at my hand that rested near his.

"Stop it. No matter what you do in life, everyone deserves someone to listen and that's what I intend to do. It's not healthy to bottle it all in".

Mason looked up from my hand and assessed whether or not to believe me. I prayed he would. I knew deep down under all his hard exterior was a little boy trapped screaming out to be heard.

"You mean that?". His mouth started to tremble, his eyes watering as he asked for reassurance.

"Yes. I do. Let me in, let me help you".

Mason slowly retreated his hand away from mine, but I wouldn't allow that. Not giving him any other option, I grabbed his hand and cupped it with both of mine. His eyes shot up to mine startled by my gesture, but I would refuse to let go, especially as he delved into the dark details of his past.

Warning - Sensitive topic ahead.

"I once thought I had it all. A home, a large garden, endless toys, a family and so on. I didn't know my mother, apparently she had me because my father wanted me, but she didn't. For the first 7 years of my life things were okay. My dad didn't pay much attention to me, but I didn't mind. I fell in love with books, reading fiction novels of perfect worlds and families. But as I got older, he became different. Instead of spending time with me, he spent time with alcohol and drugs".

Mason took me back to his past with an emotionless expression. My heart ached for him. I had never seen him like this before, so broken and innocent like.

"He got in a lot of trouble. He started mixing with the wrongs crowds and attracted the wrong attention. He'd blow all of his money of drugs, but when it all ran out, he turned to gangs to borrow money. I remember them. I still remember them breaking the door down and demanding the money that he owed them. But he didn't have it".

A single tear fell down Mason's tan cheek and that's when I knew the worst was yet to come. Squeezing his hand tighter, I shuffled myself up close to him and wrapped my hands around his upper arm reminding him that I was right beside him.

"He had no job. No income. No way of paying them back. I was 14 at the time. I was doing well in school, had a part time job and was saving up to move out as soon as possible. But my father didn't care. He cared about himself. So he made a deal".

"W-What kind of deal?". I was nervous to listen to him carry on.

Mason went silent, his face pale as death.

"He exploited me. Sold me to the gangs for their own sick purpose. They used my body in exchange for his debt. I was his income. My body is what saved his junkie ass. I didn't even have a choice".

Mason lowered his head and sobbed into his hands. I could feel my own eyes sting as I watched him break down. Mason a broken man had been broken by twisted men and a monstrous father.

Wrapping my arms around him, I pulled his large frame into my chest and held him tight.

"M-Mason, I'm so sorry".

Mason was inconsolable, his body shook violently as I held him closer.

"I'm right here Mason. I'm not leaving you" I whispered into his ear only making him cry harder.

For a few minutes I stayed silent and let him cry in my arms. It was clear as day that he had never opened up to anyone about this. It was a raw pain.

Mason eventually calmed down but remained in my arms, there was no way I was letting him out of my hold.

I pulled him down so Mason was laying sideways with his head resting on my lap. His body was still shaking, but his cries had quietened to sniffles.

Stroking my hand through his black wavy locks, I laid further back onto the sofa and sat in silence.

"How, how did you get out?".

Mason rested his hand on my knee and started drawing circles on my trousers and I let him as it comforted him whilst he spoke.

"It lasted for a week. A whole week of hell. But one day I just lost it. All the anger, emotions and rage inside of me came pouring out. He went to handcuff me to the top of the bed, but I fought back and after a tough fight I killed him. I managed to escape and fled to safety. I lived on the streets with nothing and no-one. One day I found an underground fighting ring and started taking part in it. All the anger, all the pain made me unstoppable. I earned myself a name and was one day approached by a man changed my life".

Mason snuggled further into me as I ran the back of my hand down his tear stricken cheek.

"He gave me a home, got me professional help and gave me the chance to get revenge. He was one of the gang leaders that my father borrowed off of. He hated what my father put me through and took me under his wing to learn about the gang world. I stayed by his side and eventually got revenge on all the men that abused me and last but not least, I killed my father. Ever since then I've been involved in this life that causes pain. But I don't want to live that life anymore".

Mason had endured something no person should. His childhood was ruined by a man's selfishness. I couldn't change the past, but I was damn sure to stay by his side until this was all over.

"Because of my father, I grew up hating people. I despised emotion as it makes you weak. But that all changed when I saw you. I saw that there was some good still left in this evil world. I wanted to shield you, protect you and spend a life with you. Being with you took away my painful memories, having you near gave me hope of a brighter future, but I stole you away because I was raised only knowing one way. I was selfish, cruel and didn't think of how you'd be feeling and I'm sorry for what I did to you. My past does not excuse what I've done to you. Just because I had a bad childhood does not give me a free pass to do wrong to others".

I was completely shocked at Mason. He had gone through hell, put me through hell and eventually saw the light and turned his life around. This is why I always believed that most people deserved a second chance in life. Mason was living proof that even the worst people can change.

"Mason. What happened to you was horrendous, but you are here today even stronger. You changed from the ways you had once known and have become a new man, a man I care about. I know it'll take time to heal, but I will stay with you as long as you need me to. I can't take away the pain of your past, but instead we will look towards the future and fight these people together. I'm right by your side Mason".

Mason started to cry softly as I lent down and kissed him on his forehead, my lips lingering on his soft skin for a short moment before pulling away. His eyes were shut, but tears still trailed down his hollow cheeks.

I will fix you Mason.