Chapter 40: Life without you

Rosa
5 months later

"Oh baby, it's ok, I'm right here. I'm right here".

I carefully guided her down to the floor and moved as many objects out of her way. This was the 4th seizure this month and there was nothing I could do.

She had medication, but whether she was taking them was something I did not know. However, I expected this to happen due to the nights she spent crying and the amount of stress that was thrown upon her.

Placing some cushions either side of her head, I timed her seizure praying for the convulsions to stop. There was nothing more painful than watching your baby convulse uncontrollably and not being able to stop it. I just had to let her get through it as safely as I could make it for her.

My heart hurt for her. She had lost the man who had changed for her. She had fallen in love with him and now he was gone. I wanted to take her pain away, but no-one could get through to her. The one person she wanted most, was not here to be with her.

Juliette's body finally came to a stop and I quickly rolled her over into the recovery position.

Stroking her soft silky hair, I lent down and kissed her on the top of her head and stared at my angel.

I once despised Mason. I hated him for what he had put my baby through, I hated everything about him. I wanted to hurt him, kill him for what he had put us through, but somehow in the short time I had spent with him I had changed my opinion of him.

Seeing him with Juliette, witnessing the way he looked and spoke with her made me realise exactly who he was. A broken man craving to be loved. Juliette was the missing piece in his heart. And I believed he was hers. He made her stronger and she made him happier. I was sad that it was just too late.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart".

To think it was her birthday next week was too sad. She had been grieving for 5 months. Everyday and every night I'd listen to her cry and scream into her pillow. She was broken without him. I had tried everything. I tried to get her to get some counselling, tried to surprise her, even tried getting her to eat, but it was such a challenge.

She even refused her favourite foods that would normally win her over. She didn't want to do anything. She stayed in bed and watched the world go by.

Looking down at her wrist, I saw the bracelet that Mason had given her wrapped around her pale skin. We went to the hospital with Mason where he was rushed into surgery, but he had to leave the bracelet behind.

The surgery he was having was very high risk and there was a significant chance he wouldn't survive the operation. So I took the bracelet and put it on Juliette as a reminder that no matter what happened, he would always be with her.

And since then she hasn't been without it. It was her most valuable possession and in all honesty it was the only thing that kept her sane. She was suffering so much from his loss. Aside from her seizures my baby had consistent night terrors, hallucinations and had temporarily stopped eating.

The doctor had told us of his death as the surgery was not successful. But what had made it even worse was that whilst waiting for them to prepare his body, we were informed that some people managed to sneak in and stole his body. George had eventually died from his injury to his neck that Juliette inflicted on him, but it is thought that George's men took Mason's body away as if wanting to hurt Juliette even more.

They stole Juliette's chance to say goodbye to Mason one last time.

However, regardless of this Juliette still wanted a funeral for him. Even though there was no body to bury, she still arranged the most beautiful ceremony decorated with the same flowers that he had surrounding his forest home.