Wilderness Chapter 5

" Hey Greg, " Kurt says while walking with his kids. " When we were kids, your dad used to talk us into doing the craziest stuff. " 

" That's right. " Eric agrees while chuckling. 

" Yeah, I remember one time, we got our shower curtains..." Oh great. I have a feeling these guys didn't think before they acted. " Put 'em in shopping carts and went shopping cart sailing. " 

I look back at my dad with a raised eyebrow. He chuckles and rolls his eyes as he shakes his head. 

" Wait, how'd you steer? " Andre asks. 

" Well, we didn't. " Eric says while stepping over a branch. 

" How'd you stop? " Kiethie has his eyes trained on the ground. He probably wants to be at the lake house, playing that horrible game with his brother. 

" You just smashed into something. That was the fun part. " Lenny chuckles. 

" How's that fun? " I ask quietly. 

The adults shrug. 

" We used to shoot bottle rockets at each other. " How come I have a feeling the shooting bottle rockets at each other was my dad's idea? Dad continues. " You go for the guy's face because you wanna blind him. " 

" What if you get hurt? " I ask while furrowing my eyebrows. 

Dad shrugs. " It hurt for a moment and then you got back up and shot someone again. " 

Boys are weird. 

" Okay, no, that's a little much pal. " Robbie says looking at dad. 

" No, no. I know. Kids, don't do that. You know what, um, erase, reboot. " Dad makes a weird sound at the end and I giggle a bit. 

" Okay. Look look! " Lenny quickly walks towards some trees. " Make a tree fort. I'll start you off. " 

" Rob lived in one of those for a year. " Eric says while glancing at Robbie. 

" Why? " I ask. 

" My dad took away my roller skates. " Robbie says angrily. 

" Uh oh. Vietnam flashback. " Dad jokes. Robbie sends him a look and I smile. 

" Wait a minute, are you kidding me? " Lenny hurries over to a rope. 

" What? " 

" What? " Everyone asks. 

" Nice! " Robbie smiles. 

" You know what that means. " Eric smiles at at rope. 

" We get to hang ourselves? " Charlotte asks. 

" Are you kidding me? You see a rope and a lake and that doesn't want to make you go nuts?! " 

" It makes me..." Eric stutters. " You know what? " He makes his way past Donna and Andre. " You know what, let me show them. " 

" Yeah! " Lenny hands him the rope. 

" Yeah baby. " Eric says while looking at the rope. 

" Dude, get up on the top rock! " Dad points at a rock a few feet higher than Eric. 

" Yeah yeah! You're right. " Eric climbs up and smiles as he gets a tighter grip on the rope. 

" You gotta back it up, back it up. " Lenny says pointing a bit behind Eric. 

" Go baby! " Lenny claps and everyone cheers. 

" The class is in session. " Eric smiles widely as he gets ready to go. " Who wants to see a double flip?! " 

Everyone cheers as Eric flies out towards the lake. 

" Now drop! " Kiethie yells as he reaches a good amount away from land. 

" This was a mistake! " Eric yells as he holds on for dear life. " I can't let go! I'm too scared! " Eric hits the tree in front of him and lets go of the rope. 

A little too late Eric. 

He falls down and does summer salts until he meets the bottom and crashes into some bushes a broken tree limbs. 

" That was awesome! " Kiethie yells. " I wanna try! " 

" Oh gosh! Oh gosh! " Eric yells as he climbs towards us with one hand. " My leg snapped! " Oh my gosh the bone's sticking out! I need help! " 

Dad makes a face and I bury my head into his side. Everyone mutters ' oh! ' and ' no! ' or ' ahh! ' .

" It's a sick! I got you! " Eric chuckles. I slowly take my face out of my dad's side and look down at Eric. Eric does a small dance and laughs. 

" Very good! " Lenny chuckles. 

" Daddy! That birdie's hurt! " Becky yells as she points to a bird lying on the ground. It struggles to try to get up and everyone leans forward a bit to see it. 

" Oh gosh. I'll go get a shoes box! " Lenny runs towards the house to grab a box. 

Dad helps Eric up and I slowly make my way down to the bird. I crouch down a few feet away and gently move some bushes out of the way. " Oh. You're pretty aren't you. Aw. You're wing is hurt. " I gently reach out and pet the birds head very softly. 

It freaks out for a moment before it realizes I'm not going to hurt it. It chirps a bit and I pet it softly. 

" Poor birdie. "