Morning Chapter 8

" Oh look how adorable this is! I didn't think Higgins would be such a softy like this. Look it. " Someone gushes. 

The warm surface next to me moves a bit. 

" What a cute father/daughter moment. So sweet. I've got to get a picture. " Another woman says. I hear the click of a camera and I yawn. 

" Shh! She's waking up! " 

" The birdie's here! " Someone says walking into the room. " Oh look at that. " 

I sit up straighter and yawn a bit. I rub my eyes. My dad snores a bit and his head rolls onto the side of the couch. I guess we fell asleep sitting up while he was comforting me. Dad mumbles something about darn rabbits and tinker bell. 

" Hey sweetie. " Sally greets. 

" Morning. " I mumble sleepily. 

" Why were you down here? I thought you were gonna sleep with the other kids. "  

" I got scared. " I blush. 

Sally smiles sympathetically. " Oh. I get scared all the time. Don't be embarrassed for going to your dad for comfort. " 

I smile at her a bit as Lenny slaps Robbie with a weird looking thing. Dried banana? We tried some in class one time when we were learning about processed foods and dried food. It's not that bad. I guess it's a little different from what I usually eat, but it's okay. 

Roxanne walks down the steps in a fancy outfit. Everyone but Robbie and Lenny who are still talking about food and slapping each other with dried banana, Lenny, turns to look at Roxanne. 

" Those are Christian Louboutin shoes! " Sally gushes. 

" I know, I know. I'm over dressed. But sorry, I packed for Milan. Not the lake. " She glances at Lenny. 

Robbie hands he a cup of Joe that's made from acorns. I wonder how that tastes. Hmm. Maybe dad with let me taste a bit of his coffee. 

" Dude, I'm not eating any of this. You got any normal food? Cereal? " Lenny says to Robbie as he gestures around to the dehydrated food. 

" Would you like me to make you your egg-white frittata Mr. Feder? " Rita, who Lenny claims in not a nanny but I think other wise, asks. 

Dad looks up and points at Rita while looking at Lenny. He has this ' I told you so ' face on. " I mean, is that what you're doing in science class now? " Lenny asks avoiding Dad's gaze. " Making frittatas? " Rita looks confused. " No. We're okay. You can go practice that in your room though. " 

How do you practice cooking food in your room if you don't have a stove? 

" I know you got that big test coming. " 

Yikes. I hate tests. 

Rita looks confused but she head up to her room. " You know, honey, I think you're overwhelming Lenny. " Gloria says to Robbie. She turns around and takes a bag out of the fridge. " Bacon. " She hands it to Lenny with a smile. " Knock yourself out. " 

" Bacon. " Lenny looks at the pack of meat in his hands. 

" She gets it. " Robbie sends Lenny a lazy smile. 

" Hey, she gets it. " Lenny says to his wife. 

" Thank goodness she gets it. " Dad says happily. 

" Oh hey, daddy Higgins. How'd you sleep? You looked so adorable when you woke up. " Lenny teases. 

Dad rolls his eyes but smiles. 

" Alright, so, " Lenny opens the micro wave and is about to put the bacon in when Robbie stops him. 

I turn around and walk upstairs to change before they start talking about processed food again. 

" Hey Maxi. " Greg smiles widely at me as I walk upstairs. 

" Hey Greg. " 

" How'd you sleep? " 

I shrug. " Okay I guess. " I see my reflection in a mirror by the TV. " Aw shoot. " I blush. " I look like a mess. " 

" I think you look nice. Pretty. " Greg says softly. 

I blush even harder. " Thanks. " 

Greg nods before his little sister drags him away. 

My heart pounds a bit at his smile. 

What is this feeling?