Canoe Chapter 9

I watch as dad and his friends push off from land and head off into the lake. Dad laughs at something the guys say and I smile. 

" Hey Greg. " I wave at him. 

He smiles a bit and his brother starts talking to him. He kinda looks cute with that outfit on. 

Wait. What am I feeling? Why is my heart fluttering a bit? Why do I feel nervous? What is this? I'll have to ask dad later. 

Maybe he'll understand and be able to tell me. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

THE GUYS ON THE CANOES 

THIRD P.O.V. 

" So, Higgins, I've got to ask. " Lenny glances at one of his best friends. " How did you end up with a daughter like Maxon? I mean, she's so sweet and calm. You're wild and crazy. " 

" Yeah? She's always reading or saying please and thank you. You rarely say please and thank you and you haven't read a book in about a million years. " Kurt rows his oar and looks over at Marcus. 

Marcus shrugs. " I have no idea. Maxi's the complete opposite of me. I'm guessing she got most of her genes from her mother. Well, the good genes her mom had. I have never really encouraged her to read and stuff. I guess she just picked it up from...I don't know. Somewhere. " 

" She's a nice kid. " Eric smiles. " Donna and Charlotte love to hang out with her. " 

" I got lucky with her. " Marcus chuckles. " I'm kind of glad she's not like me. I used to get into a lot of trouble. You guys know. She's a sweet kid. " 

" She looks like you. " Robbie looks over the side of the canoe as he feels something under his oar. 

" Yeah. She does. I'm glad she doesn't look like her mother. Her mother was....well, she was nice at times, but also a jerk at others. She just dumped Maxon with me and left town with her boy friend a few months after she was born. That's when I found out about her. " 

" She just left you? " Eric asks. " Like that? " 

" Yeah. She left a note saying Maxi was mine and telling me all the important stuff. " 

" Did you ever wonder if her mom was lying to you? I mean, you can clearly see now that Maxon's your daughter, but I've seen pictures of her when she was a baby, Mama showed me. " Kurt asks as they near the island. 

" Not really. And I didn't care if she was mine or not. I fell in love with her from the moment I saw her. She's my daughter. She'd be my daughter no matter what. Even if she did have different DNA. I love that girl to pieces. " 

These are the sweetest words anyone has ever heard Higgins say. The usually tough, sarcastic, childish man seems like a mature adult. 

" Hey, if you ever get a free ticket to Milan Lenny, take me with you. I heard the women there are hot. " Everyone laughs at Marcus's words.