Chapter 5: Saving Thorin

We followed Gandalf out of the cave and we rushed down the mountainside towards a cliff surrounded by pine trees like the ones from Chandrila. As soon as we were all out of the cave, Gandalf began counted. "Five, six, seven, eight. Bifur, Bofur, that's ten. Fili, Ki­li, that's twelve. And Bombur, that makes thirteen."

Thorin glared at Ahsoka, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Neria, and me. "What are they doing here?"

"They will be accompanying us to Erebor." Gandalf explained.

"I don't want them to come with us. I don't need their help!" Thorin exclaimed, getting angry.

Anakin scoffed. "Oh really? Well, we just rescued you from that giant melting Hutt looking monster."

"He reminded you of a Hutt?" Ahsoka asked.

"To me he looked like a melted tub of Bantha fat that has expired in years." I chimed in.

Neria grimaced. "More like centuries old."

"Look, I'm sure we can all benefit from coming along on this journey of yours." Obi-Wan mentioned, trying to negotiate.

Thorin narrowed his eyes, but before he could say anything, Gandalf spoke. "Where's Bilbo? Where is our hobbit? Where is our hobbit?!"

My face fell at his words. I looked around to see Bilbo no longer with the company. What happened to him?

"Curse that halfling! Now he's lost! I thought he was with Dori!" The dwarf with red hair named Gloin exclaimed.

"Don't blame me!" Dori shot back.

"And where did you last see him?" Gandalf questioned.

"I think I saw him slip away when they first collared us." Bofur mentioned.

"What happened exactly? Tell me!" Gandalf urged.

"I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door. We will not be seeing our hobbit again, he is long gone." Thorin rebuked.

That can't be. Bilbo was excited about this journey. Why would he back out now when he's made it this far? At that moment, we heard Bilbo's voice. "No, he isn't."

We turned around to see Bilbo walking from behind a tree. My eyes lit up when I saw him. "Bilbo!"

Bilbo was baffled to see Neria, Ahsoka, Anakin, Obi-Wan, and me. "Miona, you're here?!"

"We couldn't let you have all the fun." I replied.

"Bilbo Baggins. I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life." Gandalf said.

"Bilbo, we'd given you up!" Kili mentioned.

"How on earth did you get past the goblins?" Fili asked.

"How indeed?" Dwalin inquired.

"Yeah, we barely made it out ourselves." Anakin added.

Bilbo gave us a nervous laugh before placing something in his pocket. Gandalf noticed this, but he tried to make his concern with a smile. "Oh, what does it matter? He's back."

"It matters. I want to know." Thorin protested. "Why did you come back?"

"Look, I know you doubt me. I know, I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag End. I miss my books, and my arm chair, and my garden. See, that's where I belong." Bilbo explained. "That's home. And that's why I came back, cause you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you, but I will help you take it back if I can."