Chapter 19: The New Padawan

A/N: Happy May 4th! May the fourth be with you all! Hope you are all doing well in these difficult times! Now without further ado, here's Chapter 19. Hope you enjoy! 

Weeks had passed since we returned from Middle-Earth. Neria was knighted, and I became a Jedi Master, becoming a member of the Jedi Council as well. I tried to keep myself occupied so my thoughts wouldn't dwell on Bard and his family. But no matter what I did, I couldn't stop thinking about them. And it was something that I could no longer hide from the others, especially the Jedi Council. I was so preoccupied with their thoughts that I hadn't been paying attention to the Council meeting. A hologram of Admiral Yularen and of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka were all standing in the middle of the room. Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka were currently in Kiros, trying to find the colonists that Master Yoda couldn't contact.

"General Skywalker, I ran the bio-scan twice, but the results were negative." Yularen explained. 

"Are you saying the colonists are not in the city?" Anakin asked.

"I'm saying they're not even on the planet. The entire population appears to have simply vanished." Yularen clarified. 

"Vanished? That's impossible. Those are my people." Ahsoka mentioned.

Master Yoda's face fell. "Troubling is the return of the Zygerrians." 

"It is likely they mean to use Dooku to rebuild their slaver empire." Master Koon commented.

"We cannot allow that, Master." Anakin advised. 

Master Yoda nodded. "Agree I do, but first find the colonists you must. In great danger, they are."

"What is it, Master?" Master Koon inquired.

"Sense I do a darker hand in this mystery. Slavery, a great tool it is for the rise of the Sith." Master Yoda explained.

"Master Dooku, what do you think?" Master Tiin asked.

At his words, I glanced over at the Jedi Council, who along with Yularen, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Ahsoka, were all waiting for me to respond. I mentally cursed for allowing my mind to wander, thinking about Bard.

"I...yeah, I agree one hundred percent." I replied rather hastily.

Obi-wan raised an eyebrow. "Do you know what we were talking about?"

"Of course I do. You were talking about...Dooku." I retorted.

Everyone exchanged hesitant looks, making me worried. They weren't talking about Dooku, were they?

"Not entirely wrong, she is." Master Yoda commented with a small smile.

"Master Dooku, are you all right?" Master Ti inquired. "You haven't been yourself lately."

I nodded. "Oh yeah, I'm all right. I'm sorry I got distracted, it won't happen again."

"Concluded this meeting has." Master Yoda mentioned. "To have a word with you I'd like, Miona."

I gave him a small bow. "Of course, Master Yoda."

And with that, Master Yoda and I made our way to the gardens. As we walked through the gardens, Master Yoda spoke. "Been distracted you have. Been the same since you returned from Middle-Earth, you have not."

"Forgive me, Master Yoda. I just need to keep myself preoccupied." I commented.

"The case if that is, another padawan you should teach." Master Yoda suggested.

I nodded. "That sounds like a good idea. I'll consider it."

•••

Days passed and I was in the combat training chamber where the annual apprentice tournament was being held. As the tournament went on, I felt a connection with a young girl. She looked around the age of ten, reminding me of Tilda. The girl had long black hair, brown eyes, and tan skin. She was quite skilled against the other younglings. At that moment, Master Ti approached me.

"That is Jara Wren, she's from Mandalore." Master Ti mentioned, referring to the girl I was observing.

"You seem to know a lot about her." I pointed out.

"I was the one who found her on Mandalore." Master Ti explained. "Her parents weren't so happy to know that she was capable of becoming a Jedi. Nevertheless, they let me take her. She's quite a youngling. Jara will be a great padawan for you."

With that, Master Ti walked off, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Once the tournament was over, I made my way towards Jara, who was speaking to a Togruta. As soon as I approached them, they both bowed before me.

"Master Dooku." They greeted me.

"Greetings, younglings. Jara Wren, may I speak to you for a moment?" I asked.

Jara nodded. "Of course. I'll see you later, Etri."

We then made our way out to the gardens. I could tell Jara was nervous, I could sense it through the Force. I placed a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to calm her down. "There's nothing for you to be nervous about, Jara."

"What is it, Master Dooku?" She inquired.

"I would like for you to be my padawan." I informed her.

Her eyes widened at my words. "Do you really mean it, Master Dooku?"

"Of course, I truly mean it." I assured her.

Jara's smile grew. "Thank you so much, Master! You won't regret it."

"I know. Now come, there's much to learn." I advised.

•••

As time passed, Jara and I were sent to different battles, helping out the other Jedi Masters and their troops out. Jara was a fast learner, grasping all my teachings in a matter of days. Jara reminded me much of Tilda, she was outgoing, kind, always looking out for others, and energetic. I thought having a padawan would distract me, but I was wrong. I still thought of Bard, Sigrid, Bain, and Tilda. Currently, I was with Master Windu, Obi-Wan, and Master Yoda in the Jedi Council chambers. We were discussing something that was top secret.

"I think we should have Miona on the inside as well." Obi-Wan mentioned.

Master Windu hesitated. "She's too close to Dooku. She was the apprentice of Dooku. Not to mention that Miona is his niece."

"Which is precisely why I should join Obi-Wan on this mission." I protested.

Master Windu glanced over at Master Yoda, waiting for his response. I anxiously waited as Master Yoda spoke up. "Do this mission with Obi-Wan, she will. Knows Dooku better than Obi-Wan, Miona does."

"That's what I'm afraid of. This mission may be a little too personal for Miona." Master Windu pointed out.

"Don't worry, Master Windu. I won't let my emotions get in the way. Dooku means nothing to be anymore." I assured him.

"And what about Anakin, Ahsoka, Neria, and Jara?" Master Windu inquired.

I glanced over at Obi-Wan, who looked somewhat hesitant. "We leave them in the dark. It's crucial. We will need the bounty hunters to believe we're dead."

I felt conflicted with this matter. I understood the need for keeping them from knowing, but was it truly necessary? I didn't want to imagine the looks on their faces when we fake our death. I mentally shook those thoughts from my mind. This was essential, we have to stop Moralo Eval and whatever big plot he has come up with. With this in mind, I nodded. "I agree with Obi-Wan. It's better if we keep them in the dark."

"Settled then this matter is." Master Windu confirmed.

Master Windu and Master Yoda then walked out of the chambers, leaving Obi-Wan and me. I glanced out the giant windows of the chambers, seeing a plethora of speeders go by. I hope this was the right thing to do.