Chapter 12: Do You Trust Me?

"Sweetheart, are you there?"

I heard my mom's voice through my holopad. I quickly grabbed my holopad to see a hologram of my mom. It had been many years since I've seen my mom in person. The last time I was allowed to see her was when I was seven for the festival in Serenno. Now I was twelve and the padawan of my uncle, Dooku. 

"Yeah mom, I'm here." I replied.

She sighed in relief. "Good. How have you been?"

"Great!" I exclaimed. "Uncle says I'm mastering techniques that other padawans my age can't even learn."

At that moment, I heard a familiar voice from behind me. "What are you doing?!"

I immediately turned my holopad off before hiding it behind my back. I then turned around to see my uncle standing at my doorframe with his arms crossed. He wore a stern look on his face as he waited for me to answer. I dropped my shoulders as I reluctantly handed him my holopad.

"Miona, you know you aren't allowed to have these things." He scolded me. "What have I taught you?"

I let out a sigh as I recited the teaching for the thousandth time. "A Jedi is suppose to not have attachments."

"I am very disappointed in you." He informed me.

"But Uncle I was only using it to talk to my mom." I informed him.

At my words, his face softened. A faint smile appeared on his face. "That's exactly what I did when I was your age."

I raised an eyebrow. "You did?"

He nodded. "Of course. Your mother and I never lost contact with one another. She's the only one who cares for me in our family."

"But I care for you too! " I exclaimed.

He chuckled as a wide smile appeared on his face. "Of course you do, Miona. I'll never doubt that."

"Listen to me! Do you not know what is coming!"

Bard's yells woke me. As soon as my eyes fluttered opened, I saw Bard and me both inside the same cell. I quickly got up, but as I did I struggled. I then felt a shock around my wrists, making me stumble back. I looked down to find my wrists in stun cuffs completely covered in Duranium.

One thing was certain, the Separatists were definitely here. They are well known for having Duranium stun cuffs, I know...from experience. I hated Duranium, it was extremely durable yet light, and worst of all, it was able to withstand a blow from a lightsaber, making things nearly impossible to escape.

"You're awake." Bard mentioned. "What had happened?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Someone knocked me to the ground and they left as soon as they heard voices."

Bard then pointed to my utility belt around my waist. "You must have something to get us out."

"This is Duranium, it's stronger than titanium, transparasteel, and bronzium." I explained.

Bard looked at me rather baffled. I must've lost him. That definitely confirms that no one in Lake-town has this.

"It's useless if I have these around my hands." I reiterated.

Bard slammed the bars of the cell as he shouted. "Open this door! Do you hear me!"

"It's no use. No one will free us, not even if Smaug arrives." I mentioned.

Bard immediately turned towards me. "We can't just give up! I have three children who need me. You don't understand what it's like, Miona."

My face fell at his words. "No, I suppose I don't understand what it's like to be alone with three children. But I do know what it's like to grow up without a father and to be away from my mother."