Chapter 11: Staying Behind

There was a celebration at the Master's home that night at the Master's home. He let us stay in the spare rooms in his house. For some reason, I had hoped Bard would come. But of course, he didn't...not that I cared. The next morning, we made our way to the docks where the boat was, which the Master provided us along with weapons. As we walked through the throng of people that gathered to see us leave to Erebor.

"You do know we're one short? Where's Bofur?" Bilbo asked.

"If he's not here, we leave him behind." Thorin mentioned.

"We'll have to, if we're to find the door before nightfall. We can risk no more delays." Balin chimed in.

Once we boarded the boat, I noticed Thorin stop Kili from getting on. "Not you. We must travel at speed, you will slow us down."

Kili was baffled at his uncle's words. "What are you talking about? I'm coming with you."

Thorin shook his head, not giving in. "No, no."

"I'm going to be there when that door's opened. When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin..." Kili trailed off.

"Kili, stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed." Thorin advised as he placed a hand on his shoulder.

Thorin then turned around, boarding the boat. Kili looked devastated as he reluctantly turned away from the docks. I glanced around to see the other dwarves watching Kili leave with hesitant looks.

"I'll stay with the lad. My duty lies with the wounded." Óin commented.

With that he walked off the boat to join Kili. Ahsoka winced. "That must hurt."

Anakin nodded. "Yeah, but he's got a point. Kili's hurt, there's no way he can make the climb up the mountain."

I hated to agree with Anakin, but he was right. Kili was in no condition due to his wound, not to mention he looked paler than usual.

"But it will crush him." Fili protested, overhearing our conversation. He then stormed over to face Thorin. "Uncle, we grew up on tales of the mountain. Tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"

"Fili." Thorin warned.

"I will carry him if I must!" Fili insisted.

"One day you will be king and you will understand. I cannot risk the fate of this quest for the sake of one dwarf. Not even my own kin." Thorin explained.

Fili was about to get off the boat, when Thorin grabbed his arm in an attempt to stop him. "Fili, don't be a fool. You belong with the company."

"I belong with my brother." Fili corrected.

Fili then pulled away from Thorin's grip before he made his way over to join Kili and Óin, who weren't that far from us. I then turned to Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, and Neria. "Dooku may be somewhere around here. You continue on to Erebor. Neria and I will remain behind with Fili, Kili, and Óin."

"But what about Gandalf?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Yeah, remember how he offered to help us after the mountain's been reclaimed?" Anakin reminded me.

"Yes, and we will be there with time to spare." I assured them.

"We will be waiting for you in the mountain." Obi-Wan informed me.

With that Neria and I left the boat. As soon as Neria and I made our way to Kili, Óin, and Fili, the trumpets began to play. The Master then stepped onto a platform as the crowd cheered. It wasn't long until the Master concluded his speech. "Go now with our good will. And may your return bring fortune to all!"