Chapter 16: Peace Or War?

By the time, Bilbo and I returned to the mountain the sun was barely rising. The others awakened just moments after we arrived. Bilbo and I watched as the dwarves prepared for battle, putting on armor. 

"Master Baggins, Miona come here." Thorin said.

At his words, we both walked over towards him. He then held out two silver vests. "You're going to need this. Put it on."

"This vest is made of silver steel. Mithril it was called by my forebears. No blade can pierce it." Thorin explained as he handed the vests over to us. 

As soon as I put the vest on under my robes, I gave Thorin a smile. "Thank you."

As soon as Bilbo put on the vest, he looked down with hesitation and doubt written all over his face. "I look absurd. I'm not a warrior, I'm a Hobbit."

"It is a gift, a token of our friendship. True friends are hard to come by, and you have both proven to be true friends." Thorin clarified. 

All of the sudden, Thorin pulled Bilbo and me to the side. His face hardened. "I have been blind, but now I'm beginning to see. I am betrayed!" 

Bilbo and I exchanged a look. Had he discovered that we had betrayed him? 

"Betrayed?" Bilbo repeated. 

Thorin nodded. "The Arkenstone, one of them has taken it. One of them is false."

"Thorin, the quest is fulfilled, you've won the Mountain." Bilbo pointed out. "Is that not enough?" 

"Betrayed by my own kin." Thorin protested. 

"No, uh, you made a promise to the people of Lake-town. Now is this treasure truly worth more than your honor? Our honor, Thorin. I was also there, I gave my word." Bilbo reminded him.

"For that, I'm grateful. It was nobly done. But the treasure in this Mountain does not belong to the people of Lake-town. This gold is ours, and ours alone."

"Ours alone? Thorin, surely you don't mean that." I commented, hoping he'd snap out of it. 

However I was wrong, he was growing worse. As he spoke, his voice sounded more like Smaug. "With my life I will not part with a single coin. Not one piece of it." 

••• 

Later that morning, the company, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, Neria, and I all stood on the stone wall. Obi-Wan urged us to leave, but it was too late. We were already caught in the middle of their war. We watched as the Elven and Lake-town armies stood before us. Thranduil and Bard slowly rode up towards the stone gate on their elk and horse. Bard's face fell as soon as he saw me standing alongside Thorin. I turned my gaze away from him, knowing what he was thinking. Without warning, Thorin fired an his arrow, landing right in front of Thranduil's elk.

"I will put the next one between your eyes." Thorin warned. 

The dwarves cheered for Thorin. However their cheers were cut short, when the elf army aimed their arrows at us. Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, Neria, and I knew that he wouldn't send any arrows over just yet. This was just a warning, but the dwarves didn't know this. Thus, they hid behind the wall. They came out of their hiding spots, when Thranduil ordered his army to stand down.

"We've come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted." Thranduil informed him. 

Thorin scoffed. "What payment? I gave you nothing. You have nothing."

Bard then took out the Arkenstone from his coat before holding it up for all to see. "We have this."

"They have the Arkenstone. Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king." Kili retorted.