Chapter 15: Not So Innocent

Hi everyone. Sorry once again for the delay. I had every intention on getting some chapters for this story written while I was on vacation, but for some reason my brain only let me write the one story. Anyways, I got this done today, and decided I would post it now instead of holding it back any longer for editing. I'm going to do my damnedest to make sure I get more written in this story (and One More Night too, honestly). Thanks again for your patience. Here's Chapter 15.

*************************************************

    Diana was lying in bed with her eyes closed, her head resting on Artemis' chest. Despite the ordeal that they had just been through, she was relaxed. At this point, there was no reason to be freaking out. It wasn't going to do them any good. Ortherion had the gem. He was going to do whatever he wanted until the LEP were able to get wind of his whereabouts. There was nothing they would be able to do anyways without some proper rest in their system. So the two of them came back to her dorm and got some sleep while Alex was out doing whatever it was she did. Artemis was still sound asleep, and Diana had no intention of waking him. He needed his rest too. She'd argue more than she did. He was the brains of this operation, after all.

    She snuggled up against him, more than content to spend all day like this. It was already eleven in the morning, and the sunlight creeping in between the curtains had woken her up. She needed to get up, get ready and all that. After all, she never knew when Holly would be knocking and needing their help again. But Diana would be lying if she said she didn't want to just stay in bed with Artemis. At least until she heard the door's lock turn. The young woman sat up, clutching the blanket tightly to her chest. She wasn't expecting Alex to be back for another hour or so, since she nearly always slept in. But when her friend rushed into the room, freaking out, Diana knew something had to have happened.

    "Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!" Alex shouted. "You will not believe what the hell happened last night!" Diana stared at her friend as Alex plopped down beside her on the bed. "It was crazy! I was ready to shoot him and then," Alex continued to rant, but trailed off. "Are you naked?"

    Diana sighed, and moved the blanket down so her friend could see the straps to her tank top. "No. Just in my pajamas."

    It was then that Alex noticed that Artemis was in bed too, still sleeping somehow despite the chaos. Diana assumed he had to be beyond exhausted to still be sleeping with Alex talking at unbelievable volumes. "Did you guys-"

    "-don't worry about what we did," Diana cut off. "What happened with you and Sebastian? You said you were going to shoot him?"

    "Well I was going to! Until the clever jerk persuaded me to do otherwise," Alex answered. "Like honestly, what did you think was going to happen when you commandeered the room and left me at his apartment?"

    "You very easily could've still come home with us," Diana responded with a shrug. "I'm pretty sure Artemis and I were sleeping when you made the decision to go to his apartment with him, so don't put that on me. You're sleeping with the enemy!"

    "Ugh. Tell me about it," Alex sighed.

    "Well don't just sit there reflecting on your actions! How was it?" Diana asked. Despite being annoyed that it had to be Sebastian, Diana was curious to know how everything went for her friend. She wasn't that insensitive.

    "It was amazing!" Alex answered, flopping backwards onto the bed. Diana was sure she hit Artemis' feet since he stirred lightly next to her. He stayed asleep though, and that was all that mattered at the moment.

    "This is just too unbelievable," Diana said.

    "It gets better," Alex assured. Diana prompted her to proceed with an impatient hand gesture. "Well I was trying to talk him out of the idea of me liking him and he totally confronted me, backing me into a corner and everything."

    Diana gave her a suspicious glance, and interrupted her. "What did you do?"

    "I'm getting to that!" Alex insisted. "So you know how I absolutely despise being backed into a corner, both physically and metaphorically speaking. So I reached for my gun but he stopped me, oh my Diana if you could've seen the authority in his eyes and body language."

    Diana raised an eyebrow. "So you've finally found a man who could handle you?"

    "I think so," Alex said dreamily. Silence fell over the two of them for a moment before Alex added, "He told me he loves me."

    "And what did you say?" Diana questioned, her voice betraying how she really felt. Regardless to how much she distrusted Sebastian, she was excited for her friend. Even if this guy was a work in progress who was going to need some major help if they all survived this ordeal with Ortherion.

    Alex bit her tongue, almost reluctant to admit what she had said back to their former enemy. "I said that I loved him too,"she answered quietly.

    "I knew it!" Diana shouted, and then immediately put her hands over her mouth. She forgot Artemis was still asleep beside her. She glanced over at him, just in time to see him sitting up, rubbing his eyes groggily.

    "Is all the shouting necessary?" he asked.

    Diana frowned. "Sorry about that. I didn't mean to yell. It's just that... Alex revealed some uh... interesting information. Seems she had a very enticing evening."

    Even half asleep, Artemis knew what that could possibly mean. "I assume she and Sebastian finally sorted out their... tension?"

    Alex reached over and pushed Artemis gently. "Hey!"

    Artemis blinked a few times. "Oh. I'm sorry. Where are my manners? Would you rather me call it something more crude?"

    "No!" Alex yelled, but then realized she needed to dial back her panic a bit. "I mean... no. No. Tension is fine."

    "Mm, that's what I thought," Artemis replied coolly. "Congrats I suppose on listening to your primal urges. Perhaps now you can focus more on the situation at hand now that the raging sea of hormones has ebbed."

    Diana put a hand to her mouth, trying hard to not laugh at the whole scene in front of her. Honestly, it was more funny to her than it should be. Her boyfriend and best friend just exchanging banter. She honestly never grew tired of it.

    "You don't have any room to talk about a raging sea of hormones!" Alex counted. "I just know you aren't as innocent as you make yourself out to be, sir."

    Diana blushed. This conversation just took a turn down a path she didn't want to deal with right now. Luckily, Artemis answered before she did.

    Artemis shrugged. "Last I knew, this wasn't about me."

    Alex rolled her eyes. "Anyways, smart ass, Sebastian and I are opting for a lazy day over here, since we have no idea when Holly is going to need us. You guys are welcome to join us but I'd suggest showering and putting some real clothes on."

    Finally a suggestion she didn't completely disagree with. "Sounds good to me," Diana muttered. "We can get some snacks and watch some movies or something."

    Alex nodded. "Mmkay. I'm going to go get Sebastian from the courtyard. I didn't want to bring him in with me since I had no idea what you two lovebirds were up to. Get ready, and we'll be back shortly."

    "We'll be here," Diana responded.

    "See you in a bit."

    With that, Alex stood and made her way back out of the room, leaving Diana and Artemis alone once again. The silence in the room was deafening. The two of them exchanged glances before Artemis spoke up again.

    "You know this relationship of hers isn't going to end well, right?" he stated.

    Diana nodded slowly. She didn't want to admit it, but she did have that sinking feeling when it came to the whole situation, not even factoring in the whole relationship between Alex and Sebastian. All she could do for her friend's sake was hope that both her and Artemis' gut instincts were wrong.

    But somehow she doubted that was the case.