Chapter thirty two

"This is is awkward" I sighed shifting in my seat time to time.

Mum shot me a glare and turned towards dad who was beside her and whispered something to him.

This was the fifth house, the fifth girl we were looking at in the past two weeks.

I sighed and looked around as the family walked inside with trays of food and coffee.

"Thank you" Mum Spoke with a smile.

"This wasn't really necessary" dad said as they handed him a cup of coffee.

"Of course it is!" The lady spoke. "After all we are soon to be family" she said grinning which got me uneasy.

After a few more minutes, the girl was brought into the room. I kept my gaze lowered, plastered to the cup of coffee I had in hand.

"Hey" the girl spoke and my eyes shot up.

There stood a girl without a hijab in a black shirt and trousers. I glanced at Mum who looked shocked.

"Assalamu Alaikum" Mum greeted with a smile.

The girl looked at mum with a look of hesitancy and gave a small smile,

"Uh Walaikum salam?" She replied making it sound more an question than a mere greeting.

I knew it then, that this to was out of league it was going to be a sure no from mum too.

Almost all the proposals that have been brought forwards were modern families that would not fit me and my family.

And this time Mum was so sure that the broker got a religious background family and here I was with a girl who looked so far from it.

"Sit dear" mum spoke after a few seconds of awkward silence.

The girl moved into the room and sat in the couch opposite me. I glanced at her and she grinned seductively at me showing all her teeth.

I looked away and sipped my coffee and silence over took the room again.

"I wish Sara was here" Mum mumbled with the coffee cup close to her lips.

"I do too" I replied passing a fake smile to the father who was looking at me and mum.

Sara had been busy with the wedding on Amir's side that she did not attend this, the past four that we had gone she made sure she accompanied us.

We sipped the coffee and I placed my cup on the table after mum did so.

"It was nice to meet you'll and your daughter, we shall get going now, it's getting late and my husband has a meeting to attend to" Mum spoke standing up and I followed suit.

"You do?" The lady asked dad who looked like he was dozing off.

"I do?" He questioned mum who shot him a glare.

"Oh yes! How come I forget, I'm sorry but yes I do" he said and stood up.

We walked towards the door and it was then the girl held my hand to stop me. I gently released my hand off hers and took a step back.

She smiled at me and took a step closer.

"Thank you for coming, I can't wait to meet you again" she said and I smiled at her.

"I should take my leave now" I said and was to move but she held me again.

This time I pulled away a little harder than before and she looked surprised.