XVI- farewell

It was a Wednesday evening and (Y/n) was sitting with her mother, Victor and Miriam and Peter Fenton. A few other members of the house's staff waited with them, they were all waiting for Penelope to come down from her room to be driven off to William's house.

(Y/n) checked her watch yet again, the woman still hadn't emerged and time was running out. "Maybe I should go check if she's getting on okay." She suggested to the others, standing up.

"Don't worry about that, (Y/n), we can get one of the workers to do it." Peter said perfunctorily. He snapped his fingers in the direction of one of the maids who prepared herself to go upstairs.

"I think Penelope would rather speak to me, I am her best friend after all." (Y/n) smiled at the maid and gestured for her to sit down.

"(Y/n), we have staff here for a reason. Just like your mother." Miriam spoke with a sickly air of superiority about her, one that the woman had always possessed. She snapped her head to the maid who stood up once more.

"Mrs Fenton-"

"(Y/n)..." Her mother tried to coax her to sit down. "It's fine, Penelope will be fine."

"I just think she doesn't deserve this and she really needs us to be there for her." (Y/n) said sadly.

Peter scoffed. "Doesn't deserve what? A life of luxury with one of the richest families in the country? Things aren't exactly hard for her."

"She doesn't deserve to marry a man that she doesn't love." (Y/n) retorted calmly.

"Father, let (Y/n) speak to Penelope." Victor requested, mostly trying to get onto (Y/n)'s good side.

Peter rolled his eyes. "Very well."

"Hey, P, how are you holding up?" (Y/n) walked through the door.

Penelope dabbed at her eyes and sniffed, she'd clearly been crying. Her eyes were red and puffy and the clear path of her tears remained on her cheeks. "I'm- I'm... fine." She said breathlessly.

"You don't have to go." (Y/n) walked over to her friend.

"Yes... yes, I do."

"Well, you'll only be away for a week. You can call me every night and then you'll be back and we can-"

"Yeah, but in a few months I'm gonna marry him!" Penelope interrupted. "And then that's it for me." She cried out, powering through a voice break.

"P, you know I-"

"Once we get married, my life is over. He's probably going to make me move in with him and then you'll call at first but you can't do that forever. I don't have a job because I didn't fucking go to college because I knew this was going to happen, I'm just going to be in the house all day doing fuck all and then we'll have to have kids at some point and then-"

"You're spiralling, P." (Y/n) put her hands on Penelope's shaky shoulders.

Penelope grabbed onto (Y/n) and buried her face into the crook of her neck. "And then I'm only gonna see you like once a month, which will become once every two months, once every six months and then once a year and then like never." She sobbed.

"I'm always going to be your best friend. Always. I know you think I'm just saying that, but I'm not." (Y/n) rubbed circles into Penelope's back. She felt utterly helpless in that moment, unable to aid her best friend in any way.

"Finally, you're here. Next time you go anywhere, can we skip the dramatics?" Miriam snapped the moment Penelope came into view.

"The car's outside for you." Peter barely looked up from his phone. "I love you, dear, see you in a week. I must take this phone call." With that, he left the room.

"Goodbye, father." She murmured. "Bye, mother."

Miriam smiled briefly at Penelope and then left.

(Y/n) looked on as Penelope spoke each of the staff members, wishing them goodbye. "I'll see you in a week, Mrs (L/n)." She hugged Annabel.

"Try and enjoy yourself, okay?" (Y/n)'s mother held her back.

"I'll do my best. I bet the cooking over there is nowhere near as good as yours." Penelope joked. She then turned to Victor and (Y/n), they were the only two left.

"It's only a week." She said to them, trying to stop the waterworks. "I'll save all the goodbyes until I'm actually getting married."

"I love you." Victor said sincerely, smiling sadly at his sister.

"I love you too, Vic." She looked at (Y/n). "You better make good on that promise of calling me every night."

"Believe me, I will."

"She's really gone." (Y/n) looked out the window of Victor's room longingly.

"Only for a week."

"But this is just the start, soon she'll moving out and... I'm really gonna miss her." (Y/n) went back over to Victor and sat next to him on his bed.

"You were like this when you first started college, remember?" Victor' eyes lit up when he mentioned college. "And you were upset for a while but then you got used to it just being the two of us until I graduated."

"Yeah, I guess..."

"Think about all the fun we had, you and me against the world. Living together-" He reminisced.

"Hey! We did not live together, I just stayed in your dorm whenever your roommate was out." (Y/n) giggled.

"Which was like every other night! Remember when we used to have wrestling matches and I'd win every single time." Victor was scared that his heart was beating so hard that she could hear it from there, thinking about those wrestling matches was always risky considering the amount of... aphrodisiacal effects she brought on him.

"I won, like... twice, I think."

"Only because I let you win." Victor laughed.

"You're just saying that." She nudged him jokingly.

"Come on, (Y/n), you know I could beat you, anytime and any place."

"Then let's go. You and me, right now." She challenged.

Victor's face flashed red, he looked into (Y/n)'s eyes to check she was being serious. "Okay..." He said hesitantly, far more excited than he should have been.

"What? Are you scared?" (Y/n) knelt upwards on the bed, getting into position.

"Of you? Please." Victor scoffed, squaring up to her.

"Three, two, one... go!" (Y/n) counted them in.

The two leapt onto each other and rolled about the bed in fits of laughter, transporting them back to their younger, more carefree days. Victor remembers college as the best days of his life, well at least the final three years as he was a year ahead of (Y/n). Outside of classes, he was with (Y/n) practically all day and he wouldn't have things any other way.

(Y/n) had many find memories of college. Though she really loved spending time with Victor, in her final year she realised how few people she really knew. Any friends she made in college were made in her senior year as in the other three, Victor was all she had.

It didn't take long for Victor to pin (Y/n) to the bed proudly, both red faced and laughing. "Some things never change." He panted, loving the long missed view of her beneath him.

"I'm out of practice." (Y/n) made an excuse. "But once I've trained a bit I swear I'll take you down." She joked.

Victor bit down on his lip. "I'd like to see you try."