XXVI- old habits

The sun was quickly fading away as Harlow rushed down the street. He picked his phone out of his pocket and scrolled through his contacts till he landed on one he should have deleted long ago. He didn't know why he didn't get rid of that phone number, but right now it was all he needed.

He pressed the call button roughly and kept on walking across town, the streets becoming more and more filthy as he walked and the sky becoming darker and darker.

"Hey, man." An all too familiar gruff voice came through phone's speaker and into Harlow's ear. "It's been years since I've heard from you."

"Where are you? I need it." Harlow pleaded.

"Did something happen?" The recipient of the call asked.

"Yeah, I've had a pretty fucking bad day. Can you help me out?" Harlow wasn't in the mood to mess around.

"Sure, sure, you remember where we used to meet?"

"Be there in ten." Harlow hung up immediately after finishing his sentence, stuffing his phone back into his pocket. Part of him wished he stayed with (Y/n), she must have been feeling very upset about what William did and was in need of comfort. Harlow huffed as he thought of Victor offering her said comfort.

But he knew that if he heard even a word of what William had done to her, he'd lose it completely. Harlow's anger was hanging on a thread and he was seeking the one thing he knew could reel him in.

An alleyway he hadn't seen in years came into his view, along with the man he'd called earlier. Harlow walked up briskly.

"Harlow, it's been too long-"

"Cut the shit. You got it?" Harlow cut in.

"Well, I've got a few new things that might make you feel even better, y'know."

"I'm not interested, would you just give it to me??" Harlow was quickly growing inpatient.

The man shrugged and pulled a small clear bag whitish brown power from his pocket. "This enough?"

"Yeah, whatever." He said quickly, holding out his hand to receive the heroin.

"You need to pay me, this shit is expensive."

Harlow cursed himself for not having any cash with him. His hand went to his pocket and he wondered if he was actually going to spend ten thousand dollars on a small amount of mediocre heroin.

He shook off his doubts and pulled the crumpled cheque out of his pocket. "Here."

"I only take cash." The man pulled the bag away momentarily and Harlow began to panic.

"Check the amount, I only want that little bit, please." Harlow was close to getting on his knees and begging.

The drug dealer took the cheque and inspected it. "Who the hell is Victor Fenton and why's he giving you ten Gs?"

"Does it matter??" Harlow spoke through his gritted teeth.

"Is he legit?"

"Yes! Of course he is! Just fucking give it to me!" Harlow tried to hold back his anger, while beating up William would get him arrested, beating up this guy would get him killed.

"Fine, cool it, man." The man took the cheque and handed over the powdered heroin. "Will I be seeing more from you?"

"...I don't know."

He pushed his door open and rushed into his apartment. Harlow needed to just let go of all the worries of that day.

His eyes scanned the room, landing on the painting that Victor and (Y/n) had made. 'It's worthless.' He thought 'Anything that represents her relationship with him is completely worthless.'

He fished his wallet from between couch cushions and pulled a credit card out, which only reminded him of his multiple late payments.

Harlow lay the canvas flat on the floor and poured the heroin out into one of the corners, he used his credit card to cut it up into lines.

Before going in, he gazed down at the off white lines before him. He thought back on when he used to this weekly without a second thought. 'I can't go back in that hole. Not now that (Y/n) is in my life....... but I really fucking need this.'

He blocked one of his nostrils and took in one of the lines. It hit him just the same as his first time, the rush of euphoria that lit up every part of him. All anxieties were wiped away in an instant.

He was far too enamoured in the bliss of it all that he didn't notice the steady stream of blood dripping down. Though this incomparable joy only lasted so long.

Soon, the beauty of it all faded and everything slowed down. His breathing slowed, his heart rate slowed, his movements slowed even his thoughts slowed. Harlow lay on his back, feeling exhaustion hit.

An unpleasant taste rose in his throat and he half heartedly turned his head to splutter up some vomit.

He itched on the back of his neck to the point of drawing blood as the world slowed even more. Soon enough, his eyes shut and he was just too tired to lift them.