XXXIV- taste test

A week had passed since William's death and still no one knew a thing. He was buried deep in the ground alongside the innocent cashier who happened to be so unfortunate to be present for Harlow's plan.

This also marked a week since Victor and (Y/n) had gone back to being friends. He pretty much acted with everyone as if his isolation had never happened, he never brings up the confession or anything that could hint at his feelings for (Y/n). He didn't want to come on too strong.

Harlow had been feeling antsy since the double murder. It was understandable since it was his first time killing someone, let alone two people. He didn't feel a hint of regret, not at all. William had hurt (Y/n) and didn't deserve to be on this plane of life and as for the other guy, he shouldn't have been there. But Harlow was nervous that he'd get found out, he'd get taken away from (Y/n) if anyone knew of what happened.

(Y/n) was walking to work that day when she stopped in front of her mother's house. Just three days prior, her mom had moved away for her new job. Packing up her childhood home was emotional but she was glad she had her mom, Victor and Penelope there to help her.

Penelope had been very stressed over preparations for the party and it didn't help that William wasn't returning her calls or replying to her endless texts. She brushed it off as him being his usual asshole-ish self. She had brought in the catering company that she'd decided on and had them all preparing canopies and desserts.

She and (Y/n) sat on the couch discussing plans for the party as caterers bustled around, giving them bits of food to try every now and again that Penelope would approve of a reject, noting down each time which ones she liked.

"Can I give you some advice?" Penelope sighed as after chewing yet another smoked salmon blini.

"Sure." (Y/n) said, flicking through an interior design magazine.

"Don't have an engagement party." Penelope groaned, clearly growing exhausted of all the extensive planning

(Y/n) chuckled. "I wasn't going to." She kicked Penelope's leg lightly. "You do realise most people don't. It's only rich people who do this sort of stuff."

"Well, in case you were going to marry rich. For example, maybe someone related to me whose name starts with V and ends in Ictor~?" Penelope cooed.

(Y/n) shook her head. "That ship has sailed. But don't get too stressed about the party, it'll be over and then you can relax."

"No, it'll be over and then I'll have to plan the wedding." Penelope rolled her eyes at the thought. "Which is going to be even worse."

"Why don't you just... hire a wedding planner?" (Y/n) suggested obviously.

"(Y/n)! You know I'm a control freak! I can't just leave something as important as my wedding to some rando!" She exclaimed in response.

(Y/n) smirked at her friend. "You really know how to take the fun out of any event, don't you?"

"It's not the event. It's the planning. And it doesn't help that William's doing fuck all to help out." Just as Penelope spoke, Victor descended the stairs after working with Peter in his study. "Vic, have you heard from William at all?"

Victor paused for a moment and the shook his head. "Nope."

"Typical." Penelope scoffed. "Of course he's going all AWOL on me right before the party. He's such a douche."

"Speaking of douches..." Victor began, not really caring much for William's disappearance. "What happened to Harlow? You haven't mentioned him this past week." He addressed (Y/n) in curiosity, feeling a white hot jealousy fill him before she'd even given her answer.

"He hasn't said anything to me this week. I texted him a few days ago, just to check in and he just gave me this one word curt answer. I've checked in with his therapist and he's showing up to sessions which is good but he's been really back and forth with me lately." (Y/n) concluded her statement with a small shrug.

"I want to meet this infamous Harlow one day." Penelope mused. "You talk so much about him."

"Trust me, you don't." Victor accompanied his words with a sigh.

"He's really not as bad as Victor makes him out to be." (Y/n) corrected.

Around an hour had passed and (Y/n) was sprawled on the living room floor, completely full from all the food they had been trying.

"Is it over...?" (Y/n) groaned, sure her stomach wouldn't be able to handle any more.

"We still haven't tried any of the dessert foods." Penelope said.

(Y/n) whined unintelligibly, feeling herself slipping into a food coma. She carried herself to the couch and leaned on Victor's shoulder. "Whyyyyyyyy...."

He grinned down at her and placed a tentative arm around her form, being careful not to go too far. "I'm sure there won't be too many more to try." He said in an attempt to comfort her, but was more overwhelmed by how perfectly her body seemed to slot against his.

"I will try one. Otherwise I think I might actually die on the spot." (Y/n) said adamantly.

Penelope laughed and shook her head. "Whatever. As long as someone's trying them."

"How are you not dying right now?" (Y/n) pointed out, both the Fentons didn't seem the slightest bit full.

"Because we only had one of each canopy, you had like twelve spring rolls." Victor answered jokingly, his hand tracing up and down her arm.

"But they were so good!"

"Well, it's a good thing we're going to get them." Penelope interjected. "I'm going to go get the first dessert." She trotted off to the kitchen to retrieve it.

"I don't think I'm going to make it." (Y/n) lay her head on Victor's lap, tired from all the food she'd eaten.

His face went red instantly, he needed to say something but was too flustered to allow words to leave his mouth. After a few seconds of mumbles and 'um's and 'ah's he managed to choke out: "You can fall asleep if you want."

(Y/n) just buried her head closer into his thigh, her eyelids closing over her (e/c) eyes. Victor ran his fingers through her hair, feeling utter peace in that moment.

Just as sleep began to sink in, (Y/n) heard Penelope re enter the room. Her senses were leaked as a familiar smell entered her nostrils. The smell of warm sugary cinnamon brought her out of her exhausted state. Her eyes flicked open and she snapped up form her laying position, much to Victor's disappointment.

"You alright there?" Penelope inquired at (Y/n)'s sudden reanimation.

"I need to go to the kitchen." (Y/n) stood up and headed to the kitchen, needing to know if her theory was right.