XXXII- cold coffee

(Y/n) stirred her coffee around the mug continuously and aimlessly. It was too hot to drink and her mind was so preoccupied that anything she did requiring brain power just wouldn't go.

After Penelope asked her to leave, well, basically kicked her out; (Y/n) went over to the Hummingbird café. The possibility of seeing Yvonne was part of the appeal for her decision but it wasn't the entire reason she went.

"You gonna drink that or just stare at it like you're having an existential crisis?" Yvonne's voice sounded.

'Speak of the devil.'

"I'm waiting for it to cool down." (Y/n) said, placing the teaspoon down. "I went to talk to Victor earlier."

"Yikes, how'd that go down?" Yvonne asked, sitting opposite (Y/n). She had heard all about what had happened.

"It didn't. Penelope wouldn't let me see him." (Y/n) responded sadly.

"God, that sucks."

"Yeah... She said I have to wait a few more days but he's not going to get any better like this." (Y/n) groaned, putting her head in her hands. "And I do really want to see him."

"Of course you do. He's your best friend... but maybe you should listen to Penelope. She's his sister and probably knows him better than you do." Yvonne suggested.

"I am listening to Penelope. If I wasn't I'd be speaking to Victor right now." (Y/n) brought her head up. "Just because I listened to her doesn't mean I think she made any sense."

"But she- you know what, never mind." Yvonne gave up on convincing (Y/n). "How are things at work?"

"The same they've always been." (Y/n) shrugged, glancing around the café she spotted Yvonne's manager glaring at the two of them. "I think your manager wants you to get back to work."

"Fuck him." Yvonne grinned. "I handed in my letter a few days ago. I'm quitting."

"Oh my god!" (Y/n) exclaimed with a smile. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"You were all upset about Victor and I didn't want to rub your nose in it, y'know?"

"Yvonne, if you ever have exciting news, however I'm feeling I'll be so happy to hear it. I'm so proud of you!" (Y/n) rambled. "Where are you going to work?"

"I'm gonna do some catering stuff for fancy events. It's pretty exciting because I'll be in charge of all the pastries." Yvonne continued.

"That's so cool. This is gonna be great for you." (Y/n) squeezed her hand over the table.

"I should probably get back to work since I may as well try and end on good terms with my manager." Yvonne said, slowly rising.

"Right, of course-"

The bell on the door chimed.

"There you are!"

(Y/n) turned her head to see Harlow parading into the café and directly towards her.

"Harlow? What are you doing here?" She asked with a confused smile, Yvonne still standing awkwardly beside the table.

"I was looking all over the place for you, I tried your apartment, the clinic, the gallery, your mom's house, the Fenton mansion-"

"You know where my mom lives?" (Y/n) interrupted. "How?!"

Harlow shrugged dismissively. "Don't worry about it. The point is: I found you." He sat down in front of her.

"I'll just go then." Yvonne said quietly, starting to step away.

"Have you already ordered?" Harlow asked. "I just got payed so I can get you something." He added excitedly.