XXXV- not out

"Yvonne?" (Y/n) breathed out as she stepped into the kitchen.

Yvonne looked up from the pastries she was carefully placing finely cut apples on. Her eyebrows stitched together, wondering if she was seeing things. "(Y/n), what are you doing here?"

"I'm taste testing." (Y/n) answered.

"Did being a therapist not work out or....?"

"Not as a job, it's my friend's engagement party. That's what the food is for and her fiancé isn't helping her plan, so I am instead." She clarified.

"That makes a lot more sense." Yvonne smiled. "You know, the one thing I was gonna miss about the Hummingbird café was getting to see you at work but now with my new job a still get to do that."

"I bet I could wrangle you an invite to the party." (Y/n) suggested anxiously. "I think Penelope will let me have a plus one."

"Like... a date?" Yvonne's cheeks went pink as she prayed the answer would be yes. "I need to work there anyway but... Do you want to go out on a date?"

(Y/n) hesitated. "I mean... we can know it's a date... but is it okay if no one else knows?"

Yvonne nodded slowly. "You're not out yet?"

(Y/n) widened her eyes, not expecting to get onto this topic so suddenly, but then just shook her head meekly.

"(Y/n), I really like you, but I don't know if I can be in a secret relationship. I don't want to pressure you to come out or anything but-"

"I get it. It's stressful and you want to be able to tell people. I really like you too, Yvonne..." (Y/n) sighed in defeat.

"What are we supposed to do?" Yvonne asked rhetorically. "Just stay friends, even though neither of us want that?"

"I just need some time before I can tell people about this." (Y/n) fiddled with her fingers, unsure of what to say.

The distance between them seemed to grow with each passing second of dull silence.

"What did you think of the buns?" Yvonne asked plainly to fill the quiet.

"I didn't try one. As soon as I smelled them, I knew you were here so I went straight to the kitchen." (Y/b) said. "But I'm sure they would have been amazing. I bet Penelope is writing them down right now."

"Do you want to try one of the spares?" Yvonne offered.

"I'm actually pretty full."

"Oh."

Silence hung around the women. Neither were quite sure what to do or say.

(Y/n) couldn't stand the tension, she understood why Yvonne wouldn't want to be with her, keeping a relationship secret would put a great strain on it. She thought about how people would react, in all honesty she believed that almost everyone she knew would find it completely fine, but she didn't know why Vicotr's reaction somewhat scared her.

"What if I tell people... just not yet."

Yvonne lifted her head. "How soon?"

"A few weeks... I don't know." (Y/n) said truthfully.

"I'll be there to support you when you do." Yvonne smiled subtly. "Whenever that may be... but please do it as soon as you can."

"I will." (Y/n) felt determined to come out, part of her wanting to march back out to the living room and announce it to Victor. But there was this subliminal voice that was warning her against it, a voice she couldn't quite understand the origin of but listened to nonetheless.

Yvonne stepped closer to (Y/n), they wrapped their arms around each other and held one another. (Y/n) squeezed onto Yvonne, her emotions being like that of a gushing school girl with her first love.

They pulled apart and just looked into each other's eyes longingly for a moment. Yvonne's hand softly landed on (Y/n)'s face and without even thinking they kissed.

It was soft and sweet, just like (Y/n)'s first kiss had been but had a sense of romance and passion that her kiss with Penelope lacked. It was the kiss she'd been waiting her whole life for.

After, they kept their faces close, (Y/n) could feel Yvonne's smile on her. "I'm guessing you had quite a few of those spring rolls?" Yvonne joked.

"You could taste it?"

Yvonne just giggled and planted another quick kiss on (Y/n)'s lips. "I like spring rolls, don't worry."

(Y/n) walked back into the living room in a slight daze. She assumed Yvonne was now her girlfriend but regretted not clarifying the fact.

"What was that about?" Penelope asked through a mouthful of one of the buns.

"Oh, Yvonne made the buns."

Penelope choked slightly on her food. She quickly chewed the rest of it down before speaking again. "Wait- that Yvonne."

(Y/n) shot Penelope a look that said 'shut the fuck up'.

"Whose Yvonne?" Victor questioned.

"She's my friend. You broke into her apartment- remember?" (Y/n) said.

"Technically, I didn't break in. The door was open."

"Sorry- you trespassed." She rolled her eyes.

"What the hell are you taking about?" Penelope looked between the two.

"You were at William's." (Y/n) answered. "It's no big deal." She lied, Victor discovering his birth mother and twin brother in addition to finding out that his adoptive father had been his biological father all along and was also a worse person than he'd initially thought was most definitely a big deal.

"That prick still hasn't answered my calls!"