XXXVI- necklace

(Y/n) lay in her bed that night, still gushing from her kiss with Yvonne. She kept touching her lips in joy. Just as she was thinking of Yvonne, a text notification came through on her phone.

Yvonne: You free on Friday? There's this new restaurant opening and I've been wanting to check it out.

(Y/n): I can meet you there after work, text me the address and time :)

Friday evening came and (Y/n) felt a sense of deja vu as she got ready in the mirror, remembering when she went to the club with Yvonne. But now it was a real date, it was just the two of them, and they were going to an environment where they could actually be heard so some things were different.

She was still stuck on the idea of how to tell people about her and Yvonne, telling Victor in particular would be difficult. 'We're not even official yet... we're just going on a date.'

(Y/n) turned her head to check her hair and makeup at all angles before getting up to go.

"Haven't seen you in a while." Ivan remarked as Harlow trudged over to him. "Got a pen?"

Harlow fished a sharpie out of his pocket wordlessly and handed it over before sitting on the curb beside Ivan.

"Thanks." Ivan took the pen and began to write on a slightly damp piece of cardboard. He glanced back at Harlow who was staring across the street dully. "What's up with you?"

"I got rid of it." Harlow said.

"What?" Ivan tilted his head in confusion.

"The problem... you said I should get rid of it last week."

"I did say that, didn't I? What even was the problem? Is your friend mad at you?"

"She doesn't know yet... I don't think she does anyway. No one knows." Harlow spoke somewhat ominously.

Ivan scrunched his nose. "What was the problem?" He repeated.

"Doesn't matter. I got rid of it so it doesn't matter anymore."

Ivan went to speak again but decided not to and completed his sign:

Homeless for 12 years. Any amount of money or even just a conversation appreciated :)

He propped it up in front of him.

Harlow read the sign. "I haven't got anything on me."

"It's not for you. You give me shit all the time anyway."

"Can hang out with you for a bit? I've got nowhere to be and my friend... I don't want her to hate me for what I did." Harlow asked

"I thought you said she didn't-"

"But she might! And I can't risk that."

(Y/n) walked into the small restaurant. It was on the other side of town so she was surprised to see the quality of it.

"(Y/n)! Over here!" Yvonne called out from a table in the corner, her volume earning a few dirty looks from other restaurant goers.

(Y/n) smiled and walked over to her, trying not to collapse in her high heels. Yvonne stood up as (Y/n) approached and went to give her a kiss on the cheek.

"You look beautiful." Yvonne sighed, fluttering her eyelashes.

"So do you." (Y/n) responded unsure whether to kiss Yvonne again. Before she could make up her mind, Yvonne had dove in for a peck and settled in her seat again.

"It's been so long since I've been out on a date so I've forgotten all of the etiquette." Yvonne explained, flicking through the menu.

"This is my first ever date, so you'll do better than me."

Yvonne's eyes widened. "Of course, I totally forgot. Yikes, I should have taken you somewhere more exciting."

"No, this is lovely." (Y/n) assured her.

"Well, at least let me celebrate the occasion with a gift." Yvonne placed her menu down.

"You didn't have to get me anything!" (Y/n) said in shock. "I haven't got you something, I'm so sorry!"

Yvonne laughed. "It's nothing like that." She stood up and walked around to stand behind (Y/n)'s chair.

"What are you doing?" (Y/n) started to turn around but Yvonne put her hands on her shoulders.

"Stay there for a second..." Yvonne paused for a minute and then (Y/n) felt her hair being moved and something cold on her neck. "There."

(Y/n) glanced down to see Yvonne's gold star necklace on herself, she touched it lightly. "I can't accept this. Your mother gave it to you."

"She'd love for me to give it to someone I care about." Yvonne said as she went back to her chair.

"But... it's yours! I can't take it!"

"It's yours now." Yvonne put her hand softly over (Y/n)'s. "I really want you to have it."

"I-"

"No more of that."

"But-"

"But nothing! I've given it to you."

"....thank you."

The women thoroughly enjoyed the rest of their time at the restaurant, chatting, laughing and eating the whole evening.

They were walking back to Yvonne's apartment as it was in the area and (Y/n) had taken a taxi to the restaurant. Yvonne had invited (Y/n) to stay the night, and (Y/n) couldn't say no.

She wasn't expecting anything to happen that night though, Yvonne's mother would be there after all.

As they walked down the dark and dingy streets, (Y/n) mostly kept her eyes on the pavement beneath her. But when her vision did go up her eyes narrowed to check if she was actually seeing what was before her.

"Harlow? Is that you?"

He was sitting next to an older man who was wrapped in a blue duvet. Yvonne also looked in the direction to which (Y/n) was speaking. The women walked over to the sitting men.

"(Y/n)!" Harlow perked up. Ivan smirked at his suddenly happy attitude, deducing that this must be the woman he always talked about.

"What are you doing out here? Is everything okay with your apartment?" She asked anxiously.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Ivan's just my friend so I was talking to him." He replied. His happiness dipped slightly when he asked his next question. "Why are you here? Especially so late, it's dangerous out."

"I was just out with Yvonne." (Y/n) squeezed her date's hand.

Harlow squinted at the blonde woman. "The waitress? Why are you so dressed up?"

(Y/n) hesitated, not sure if she should explain the dynamic of her and Yvonne's relationship. "It... was a nice restaurant."

Yvonne tugged in (Y/n)'s arm. "We should get going, before it gets any later." She was mostly saying that for (Y/n)'s sake as she could tell (Y/n) was growing uncomfortable.

"I'll see you around, Harlow, are you going to William and Penelope's engagement party?"

Harlow's heart stopped. "That's still happening?"

"Surprisingly, the engagement hasn't been called off yet." (Y/n) chuckled.

Harlow suddenly remembered that no one else knew of William's untimely death. "Right... I don't think I'm invited."

"(Y/n)..." Yvonne whined, trying to cut the conversation short.

"Sorry," (Y/n) said to Yvonne quickly. "I'll talk to Penelope about getting you there. Bye!"

Harlow had a small smile on his face as he watched (Y/n) walk away, seeing her again truly did brighten up his life. But the other woman who was with her... there was something wrong about the way they were with each other and he couldn't quite put his finger on it.