XXXIX- found out

(Y/n) was breathing heavily as she navigated her way to Harlow's apartment. Thankfully, Yvonne's place was only a short distance from his.

(Y/n) couldn't erase the horrifying image of Harlow slowly dying of overdose on the floor of his lonely apartment. She needed to get in there and help him.

Tears began to brim in her eyes. It was such a frightening thought, she only ever wanted to help Harlow, to guide him out of the darkness that covered his life. But what if everything she'd done had made it all so much worse for him?

She pulled up outside his building, knowing fully well that she'd receive a hefty parking ticket but not really caring.

(Y/n) ran up his stairs as fast as her legs would carry her, not putting her trust in the faulty elevator.

Everything in the hallway was a blur excluding his door as she sprinted down it. Almost colliding into one of his neighbors who yelled something quite unsavoury at her but she didn't pay any attention.

(Y/n) pushed her body on the door, expecting it to be open as last time. But she'd assumed wrong, the door was firmly shut and locked. She rubbed at the shoulder she had just slammed into it to slightly ease the aching that pulsed in it as she hammered at the door with her foot.

"Harlow! Harlow! It's (Y/n)! Let me in!" She prayed that he wasn't too exhausted to even hear her, or get up, god forbid he had already passed out.

Just as (Y/n) pondered how much force it would take to knock the door down, it swung open.

The Harlow she saw ahead of her was massively different form the hollowed out, pale and sickly one who she'd walked in on before. He seemed... fine. But she knew she shouldn't assume that, he said he'd been using after all.

"How long ago did you take it?" She panted out breathlessly.

Harlow didn't answer, he just opened the door wider and gestured for (Y/n) to step in. A calm smile rested on his face.

(Y/n) disregarded his odd behaviour and went into his apartment, looking around wildly for any clues of how much he'd taken and in what way.

"Where's the heroin? Did you inject it? Or snort it? Or smoke it?" She threw further questions at him but as she rustled through his things, no signs of any drug use arose.

Her search was so desperate she didn't even hear him locking the door.

"I didn't take any heroin." He stated coolly.

(Y/n) paused, her expression going from one of crazed worry to puzzlement. ".....what?"

"I just needed to talk to you."

(Y/n) dropped the couch pillow she'd been looking under in utter surprise. "What the fuck, Harlow?! If you needed to talk to me then say you wanted to talk to me.... fuck, I need to move my car, I'm parked illegally."

"Don't worry about that." He didn't even apologise or have any remorse for his lies.

"I'm going to get charged. You know, I was busy and I dropped everything to see if you were okay? I speeded the whole way here and I thought you were in danger." (Y/n) was exasperated. She flopped onto the couch and put her head in her hands. "For fuck's sake..."

"You were that worried about me?" He asked with a flattered smile.

"Not the point!" She cried, lifting her head up. "You can't manipulate people like that... now what's so goddamn important?"

"I just wanted to ask you about that girl I saw you with last week." He said innocently. "Yvonne, right?"

(Y/n) couldn't believe this was happening. "Have you been talking to Victor?"

"No." He lied.

"He asked Yvonne the exact same thing earlier today... he didn't need to fake an overdose to do it though." She muttered the last part.

"I didn't fake an overdose!" Harlow defended himself.

"Sorry- faked a relapse with a highly addictive and dangerous narcotic substance." She said sarcastically.

"You're using big words to intimidate me. It won't work." He hated how she was acting, couldn't she just let him ask his question?

"Ooooh, 'intimidate', did you have to look that one up before I got here?" She retorted.

"Why the fuck are you acting so snarky?"

"Because I'm pissed!" (Y/n) stood up form her seat. "Just tell me why the hell I'm here so I can leave."

"You're spending too much time with her... I don't like it." He kept his composure with great effort.

Before then, (Y/n) thought that despite Harlow and Victor looking exactly the same, they couldn't be more different, but that statement felt like one that could have left Victor's lips directly. "That's ridiculous."

"She's just some waitress you met, you don't need to be giving her this much attention!" Harlow was slowly losing control as (Y/n) offered up more resistance to his words.

"She's more than that." (Y/n) murmured.

"Jesus Christ, is she worth more to you than I am?"

She winced at the question and just shook her head, not as an answer, but more as a sign that she wanted no part in whatever this charade was.

"Listen, I'll make it easy for you, if you don't stop spending time with her then I will start using heroin again, for real." He threatened.

"You can't do that." (Y/n) replied quickly. "You can't blackmail me with something like that."

"All you need to do is stop talking to her." He said patronisingly.

"No, Harlow. You're not thinking clearly-"

"Yes, I fucking am!!" He shouted, his entire face going red.

There was still a considerable amount of distance between them. (Y/n) shook her head again. "I'm leaving, you're behaving like a child."

Harlow bit his tongue, fighting back his laughter as (Y/n) went to leave only to find that the door was locked. He snuck himself a glance at her fearful expression and it did more for him than any dose of heroin ever could.

"Let me out." She attempted to keep her breathing steady, not wanting to show him any signs of weakness.

"Call Yvonne right now and tell her you can't be friends anymore and I'll consider it." He challenged.

(Y/n) took a deep breath, she couldn't lash out at him, that wouldn't help either of them, as much as she wanted to. "Harlow, unlock the door. We can speak about this tomorrow."

"Just give me your phone, I'll dial her contact, and you tell her you don't want to be her friend. It's as easy as that." His tone was that of a teacher explaining a concept to a child.

"I can't do that."

"Of course you can. You don't need her."

(Y/n) wasn't sure of Harlow's motivations were here, but whatever they were, her next choice of words should have been more carefully thought through.

"I can't do that because she's not my friend... she's my girlfriend."