XXIII- preparation begins

As (Y/n) stopped outside the mansion a dull ache set in her stomach. It was the next day and despite her fears surrounding William, she felt like she had to properly greet Penelope. Additionally, it wouldn't be too hard for her to just avoid him, it was unlikely that he'd try anything in front of his future wife.

She was still scared, scared he might manage to tear her away from Penelope for even a second and take advantage of it.

Even if she was frightened, the fact still remained that she needed to go in. Her legs carried her to the front door and she hesitated before knocking.

One of the workers answered the door. Upon seeing (Y/n), he nodded. "Penelope's in her room."

"Thank you." (Y/n) walked inside. "Is William here?"

"Yes, he's currently discussing things with Mr Fenton." The butler answered.

"Mr Fenton as in....?"

"Peter."

"I see, thank you." She hoped that William wouldn't know of her presence, if she just stayed in Penelope's room he may not notice she was ever there.

"There you are. What happened yesterday?" Penelope stood from her desk as she noted (Y/n)'s arrival.

"I'm sorry, I had a work thing. I did want to stay longer." (Y/n) lied fluently, she hated how it had become her second nature to tell this fib. "What did your parents talk to you about?"

"They just lectured me about married life and putting on a show for the public, acting in love, all that wholesome stuff." Penelope spat. "They really are dickheads."

(Y/n) nodded passively, 'You have no idea...'

"I need to enlist your help-" Penelope went over to (Y/n) and pulled her back to the desk. "As my maid of honour, I need your assistance in planning the engagement party." She presented (Y/n) with a binder stuffed with magazine cut outs and other images and writings. "These are the ideas I'm messing around with at the moment, but nothing's set in stone."

(Y/n) took the binder and flicked through it. "Is William helping?"

"He was supposed to... but then he's turned around and decided that he's just too busy and isn't contributing at all. The only thing he's said is 'do what you want, I don't care'. What a dream, right?" Penelope sat down on the chair by her desk and began to massage her head with her hands, just thinking about her soon to be husband gave her a headache.

"Was everything okay with you and William at his house?" (Y/n) asked nervously, hoping Penelope didn't have a similar encounter with him.

"As 'okay' as I expected. So it was pretty shit. We didn't really talk all that much." Penelope recalled.

"He didn't... try anything, did he?" (Y/n) bit on her lip as she awaited an answer.

"He started suggesting things and I just told him to wait until we were married and then he shut up about it for the rest of the week. I know he's a dick but I don't think he's that bad." Penelope narrowed her eyes at her friend. "Any reason you ask?"

"No." (Y/n) shot back promptly. "You're my best friend and I know this is hard for you. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay."

"...Right, well everything's fine... shall we start planning?"

The women planned the party for a good forty minutes. Calling caterers, making colour schemes and dress codes. As they were scrolling through the website of yet another florist, a knock came at Penelope's door.

"Yeah?" She called out.

Victor stepped in the room, his eyebrows raised when he saw (Y/n). "Oh, hi!"

"Hey, Victor." (Y/n) said with a weak smile, they hadn't properly spoken since he walked away after their disagreement. She knew in her heart of hearts that what happened with William wasn't Victor's fault, but a part of her resented him for leaving her alone with the perpetrator.

"I spoke to Harlow, by the way, about.... the thing." Victor mentioned, not wanting to bring up the Quinn and Peter situation in front of Penelope.

"Great. I'll talk to him about it on Friday." (Y/n) answered, turning away from Victor and back to Penelope's laptop.

"Hold on, you're seeing him on Friday?" Victor allowed some of his jealousy to seep into his tone.

"Can we not do this? I'm friends with him, please learn how to deal with that. Maybe you should make an effort to be friends with him too." (Y/n) remarked, growing sick and tired of his act.

Victor grinded his teeth in irritation, he felt as if he was always going to clash with (Y/n) on this issue. But then a thought came to his mind. "Why don't I join you then? You know, if you want me to be friends with him."

(Y/n) frowned, Victor intruding was odd but she'd feel bad saying no, additionally Victor would probably jump to conclusions and assume the reason she can't come is because it's a date. "Fine, we're painting at his house. I'll send you his address."

"Sounds good." Victor said proudly, raising his head.

"Is your lover's quarrel done now?" Penelope groaned. "Why are you actually here, Victor?"

"Right, I was just going to tell you that I'm heading out with William. We got talking and he's actually pretty nice, you give him too hard a time, P." He leaned on the doorframe, beginning to slink out of the room.

"I don't think he's a bad person... our personalities just clash badly." Penelope clarified as Victor exited.

(Y/n) was just angry. They didn't know. They couldn't know. And yet she still felt so angry.