2 - You Promised

When the Watchers came, there was never good news to follow.

This time was no exception.

The Watchers stood, tall and proud, masked and cloaked, at the center of spawn. All the Evolutionists had gathered--some rather reluctantly--and they were waiting with bated breath to see what the mysterious figures would say.

There were two. It was always these two. They never gave names, so the Evolutionists called them Watchers 1 and 2. There were more creative names, but they were too rude to mention here.

The Evolutionists hated the Watchers with a burning passion. They toyed with the world of Evo, notoriously snatching people out of the world and plopping them in the middle of the ocean, and they built those obsidian towers that were so hard to put down.

Everyone disliked them. But there was one person who was a cut above the rest.

Grian was the first and only one to step forward. "What do you want now? For us to do your bidding? To encase our bases in bedrock? Drop us in the ocean again?"

The Watcher on the left started forward, but the one on the right stopped them. "Hold on. Not yet."

That just made the whole situation worse. These two always brought bad omens with them. They were the deliverers of bad news.

There had been plenty of times where they had given bad news. New events and portals in the world, challenges to face, obsidian towers to take down...but this one topped them all.

"We have decided that one of you has to leave."

Quiet murmurs of shock and surprise echoed through the small group of people.

"Why?"

"How?"

"Who?"

Grian himself felt a slight sense of dread that started growing. He knew where this was going. Out loud, he said, "And what if we say no?"

The Watcher on the right's posture straightened. "You will regret it. We're the ones who made this world possible. We're the ones who allowed you to build your small world here. You should be grateful."

"You're also the ones who mess around with us mercilessly!" Grian protested.

Following Grian's lead, the rest of the Evolutionists began to argue with the Watchers. It may not seem like much, but this was a minor victory for the world of Evo--being able to stand up to the Watchers.

"Enough!" Watcher 1 thundered. "You will obey us, like it or not. One of you will leave. Ten will become nine. You will never see them again. If you try to refuse, there will be consequences."

The Evolutionists talked among themselves, wondering if there was any way to avoid the inevitable. Like all of them, though, Grian knew that there was no way to stop it. The Watchers were powerful--they could easily snap half of Evo out of existence if they wanted to. Grian needed to step up and take responsibility.

"I have to go."

Immediately, shocked shouts came up from the group.

"You can't!"

"What about the empire?"

"Please don't leave us..."

Grian knew what the Watchers would do if they didn't do what they demanded. It was best to go and keep everyone safe here.

Under the mask, Grian could tell Watcher 2 was smiling. "Well, then. That was easy, wasn't it? You'd better say your goodbyes now."

The other members of Evo spouted some choice words to the Watchers. How could they act so casual about this? They were going to lose a valued member of their world, and the Watchers were pretending like it was just all in a day's work.