12 - Blue Orchids

Wels was bored.

It wasn't like the camp wasn't boring. It was just the same old thing every day. X being overly excited about everything, Tango and Zed goofing off, Doc and Cub fighting over every single thing. It was starting to get a bit generic.

Wels didn't like things getting generic. He needed something new. He practically knew the camp like the back of his hand. X's iconic dirt hut, which he wouldn't let anyone take down. The small river running through the middle. The different layouts of where everyone slept. And, of course, the smaller clearing just about 50 blocks away, where everyone seemed to be appearing.

What about the rest of the area? The other people stayed very close to the area around. Wels wanted to see more. What else was out there?

So, he set out to explore more of the land around.

Obviously, Wels knew better than to not bring the necessary supplies. He brought a boat, extra food (carrots, stolen from X's beginner farm), and various tools he knew he might need on the trip.

Stress glanced at him from nearby. "Where're you going?"

"Exploring. You want to come?" Wels tried to stuff all his stuff into a small pack. He grunted when his pickaxe wouldn't cooperate.

Stress shook her head. "Sorry, no. Let me know what you find out there, though. I've gotta keep Tango and Zed under control."

Before Wels left, the former ice princess pressed a small map and compass into his hands. "I found a compass lying on the ground nearby, maybe Cub's. Don't tell him I stole it. There was some sugar cane nearby, too. Stay safe, 'kay?" She gave him a small knowing wink.

"No need to worry. I can take care of myself."

"I'm not worried about that. I'm worried that you'll be exploring for too long and lose track of time."

"You know me too well." Wels smiled back, then headed out.

»»————- ★ ————-««

The first few hundred blocks were the normal oak forest and the occasional birch tree. When Wels finally broke free of it, things started to get a bit interesting.

Turns out, this world had more biomes than he thought. There was a large jungle with a nearby temple. A snowy tundra, which reminded Wels a bit too much of home. And a swamp.

Wels went for the swamp.

Trudging in the mud and wading through the murky water, Wels silently cursed himself for bringing his heavy iron armor. He'd gotten it after a few days of mining and was pretty proud of himself, but now he was starting to regret it.

Wels could see a witch hut in the corner but stayed far away from it. He picked a few blue orchids to give to X or Stress, X for his fascination with the Overworld and Stress for her love of flowers. Avoiding the obvious ravine that cut through the right side, he went further out.

Then he heard a sound. The unmistakable sound of slimes hopping around.

Wels drew his sword. Typical luck, running into a lone slime in the day. He needed to get home by nightfall.

But he could use the extra slimeballs.

Wels craned his neck to pick out the slime, which usually blended in with the muted green color of the swamp. Then, he spotted a color that contrasted brightly with the norm. Bright blue.

The same color as the blue orchids Wels was holding in his hand. But this shape was much larger than a flower. And it was moving.

Wels held his sword tightly and moved slowly closer to the shape, though he was aware of how much he stood out with his armor. And the clanking wasn't helping, too.