Extra 3 - Ice Cold, Fiery Hot

(I originally published this in my oneshot books but since I'm adding extras to this book I wanted to transfer it over to here! This is a oneshot based around the mystery girl Iskall killed in EFTP1.)

There was a random dude trying to steal the village bell.

She leapt out of bed, shoving past the villagers running around. Whoever was messing with the bell was sending them into a panic, and she wasn't going to deal with this in the middle of the night.

She threw open her door and headed for the well. She was expecting one of the village boys who were always causing trouble. She wasn't expecting a new guy who looked like he was trying to benchpress the bell.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?"

The man looked up in surprise and dropped the bell, making the loudest clang yet. The villagers were hrmming in terror, and if they didn't go into the houses soon, they would get attacked by zombies. The iron golem had laid their life down a few weeks earlier, so she was the town's only protection.

The guy had a camo green hoodie on paired with blue jeans. He had a green cyborg eye covering his left eye, which gave him a sort of adventurer/futuristic look. He wore a worn leather pack on his back.

"Uh, sorry-" he stumbled, and his hand hit the bell again. The villagers were still hrmming their tiny minds out.

She stopped the bell's ringing with her hand, still glaring at the new guy. "I said, what do you think you're doing?"

"...Messing around with the bell?"

She put her hands on her hips. Her auburn hair was messy and she was wearing a nightgown, but she didn't care. "Dude. You're scaring the villagers. Do you mind?"

"Sorry-"

"What are you even doing?" she pressed. "I've never seen you before."

"I was searching the nearby villages for a bell I need for a Redstone project," he said. "The last five villages I went to were empty, so I started going out further."

She raised an eyebrow. "You do know some villagers can trade you a bell for a few emeralds, right?"

"Well, that's what I needed it for. I'm making a villager trading hall. I need some way to get the villagers into a 'safe zone'."

"And, let me guess. You wanted to snag some villagers from here?"

"What? No! I can get the villagers from a village closer to where my base is."

His eyes darted around. She hadn't noticed it before, but he had an axe strapped to his back. It didn't look like much-just a plain iron one-but for some reason, it unnerved her. "Plus, I needed podzol from the mega taiga anyway."

She heaved a heavy sigh. "Well, I guess I have to do the kind thing and offer you a place to stay."

He shifted on his feet. "Yeah. That would be nice."

She rolled her eyes and gestured to an empty house far on the other side of the village. "The villager who lived in there died, so you can have his house. Do you have any resources or did you leave them all in your base?"

"I mean, I have some..." he took off the pack on his shoulder and pulled out a few loaves of bread, a map, and a compass.

She stared at the loaves. "Those look like they're days old." She grabbed one and felt the texture. "It's hard." She hit the loaf against the well. It didn't break. "How long have you been traveling?"

"A week, maybe? Two?"

She couldn't suppress another eye roll. "I'm going to go bake some bread for you. It should be ready by sunrise, so I suggest you get some sleep."

"Uh, thanks?" He followed her. "I'm Iskall, by the way. What's your name?"

She hesitated. She wasn't used to having another person around--the only company she had were her tiny-minded villager neighbors. But this guy--Iskall--seemed okay enough.

"Enya. It's Enya."

"Enya." Iskall said her name like he was trying it out for size. "Thanks for giving me a place to stay."

She shrugged. "It's the least I could do."

The moon was right above their heads. She cleared her throat. "Um...you should go to bed. Watch out for the villagers. They have a nasty habit of barging into your room and standing by your bed."

"Y-yeah. Thanks." Iskall's cyborg eye met her deep brown ones. She couldn't shake the feeling--Iskall seemed chill enough, but something in the back of her mind told her she was making a mistake. She turned her back and walked into her house, too flustered and tired to keep talking.

"See you tomorrow, Iskall."

(For context: Iskall means ice-cold and Enya means fire.)