Twenty-One

Quinn

"Hey, honey! Heard you were getting your cast off today! Congratulations!" Catherine, the nurse who helped me while I was in the hospital the first time, came running around to hug me. I set one of the crutches to the side so I could hug her back.

"Where's Daniel? Did he leave you to park the car?"

"Yeah, but it's fine. I need a break from him anyway. He has been driving me crazy over the last month, but I'm glad to finally be getting the cast off,"

"Well, I'm not in charge of what happens to you today, but Jenny will be here in a second. Ah, here she is,"

Jenny came sprinting around a corner, holding a few pieces of paper, "Sorry. I accidentally switched papers. Come on, I'll get you a bracelet and then we can go to your room. Phew, I need to get a gym membership. Elevator had a patient in it and I had to take the stairs,"

"No worries. I am in only a partial rush today, but it's mainly to get this thing off," Jenny smiled and snapped on the bracelet just as Daniel walked in.

"I hate parking garages," he muttered and I shook my head, "Three stories up and there was still no parking. I'm on the fourth floor. Sorry, Quinn,"

🖤

While we waited, Daniel sat on the bed with me and held my hand. After the farmer's market party argument, we worked on compromising my independence and his need to help. We still fought, but they didn't lead to screaming matches anymore. Nonetheless, I was thankful to be getting the stupid cast off. No more wheelchair. No more crutches. It was going to be glorious.

I just wish my hair would grow faster. It was two different lengths and it was driving me nuts. It occurred to me a week ago that I would have to deal with an awkward haircut stage before I could get back to my long hair and that bummed me quickly.

"Quinn?" The door opened and Doctor Sanders' face popped up from the other side of the door, "Hello! How're we doing today?"

"Pretty good. Though, someone—"I nudged Daniel, "—isn't too happy about parking far away,"

Doctor Sanders snickered as Daniel rolled his eyes and moved to sit in the other chair. Doctor Sanders cleared his throat and looked through a couple of charts on his laptop. He typed a few things and sighed, "Alright, Quinn, it looks like everything is in order to get your cast off today, and from the looks of the X-Rays from last time, your leg has healed very well. Just a quick thing, you will be required to wear a small boot when you walk around. It's just to keep the leg straight and keeps the bone from fracturing again,"

"But no more crutches or wheelchairs, right?"

Doctor Sanders laughed and shook his head, "Technically no, but we do recommend not doing anything to stress it too much. Try to keep off of it as much as possible for the next couple weeks,"

"I can do that no problem. So, how does the cast come off? Are you guys going to have to put me under again?"

"No, no. We use this cast saw to cut it off. It doesn't hurt if it hits the skin either, see?" Doctor Sanders pressed the saw against his hand and shrugged, "So, any questions before we get the cast off?"

"I actually have one. Quinn and I are part of a special kind of club that involves sexual activities. When would you recommend Quinn being able to get involved again?"

Doctor Sanders frowned and I was pretty sure he was blushing slightly, "Ah, you know Mr. Knight, I don't know. I don't think I've been asked that question before. Um, so far as having, ahem, regular sex, I would definitely wait a week or so to give the bone extra time to finish healing. The muscles will be weak and will need time to adjust as well. If I understand what you're implying about the special club, I would say a month to a month and a half. I'm sure that's not the answer you wanted to hear, however, it's a precaution for the muscles and the bone itself,"