Five

Quinn

I hadn't meant to spend the night, but the storm was unrelenting and Daniel refused to let me go on my motorcycle.

He allowed me to stay in the guest bedroom and even had extra toiletries for me to use. It almost felt like I was dating him with how he was treating me. It felt weird and I tried to continuously remind myself that he wasn't doing all of this because he had a crush on me. It was because he was trying to make sure I didn't hurt myself in this weather.

I woke up to something nudging my face and I opened my eyes to see Stella on my chest, poking my nose with hers. She seemed to smile as I brought my hand up to pet her.

"You're such a funny dog, Stella," I whispered and she licked me.

"Oh. My. God," both Stella and I turned to the door. Standing in the doorway was Ken with his mouth wide open. Stella bounded from me to him and wiggled her butt at him and whined.

"It's . . . I mean, this isn't what it looks like Ken,"

"Did you two, you know? Oh my lord, you did, didn't you?"

"No, no. Nothing happened. I just came over for lunch and then it started raining and it wouldn't let up, so Daniel told me I could stay until it stopped.

"Well, honey, the rain has ended and you're still here. So, are you going to tell me what happened or no?"

"We just had lunch and then spent the afternoon talking and getting to know each other. He let me borrow some clothes when mine got soaked and I had to shower,"

"Hold up. Did you shower here? He actually let you shower here and wear his clothes?" I nodded, "And how is all of this affecting your little crush?"

"Shh! He could hear you,"

"Not likely. The man sleeps like a log. Anyway . . ."

"I don't know. My issue was mostly physical before, but now that I've gotten to know him, I feel stupid around him. Like last night when he let spend the night here, I kept hoping he'd tell me we could share a bed. Or when he brushed my hair, I was waiting for something to happen. I feel like an idiot,"

Ken came in and put his arm around my shoulders, "You are an idiot. But you're an idiot who has a very major crush and is doing nothing about it. You need to tell him that you feel this way. Honey, you keep this up and you could start loving him,"

Before I could respond, Daniel was standing at the doorway, "Consorting stuff without me? In my own home?"

"Of course. You gave me free reins in your house and it appears you let someone else in as well," Ken said, giving me a small wink and shuffled off towards the kitchen. I stared at Daniel for a second, wondering how much he had overheard. Nothing, I hoped.

"Come on. If Ken's here, something happened with Ryan. You can hear all the gossip and get breakfast,"

I followed Daniel to the kitchen where Ken had already begun rifling through Daniel's kitchen supplies, "What do you want for breakfast, Quinn?"

"Oh, um, I don't know. Normally, I'll just have whatever's in the fridge for breakfast. Sometimes it's eggs, other times it's chicken stir fry,"

"Chicken stir fry isn't a breakfast item," Daniel countered.

"Actually, I had a teacher once tell me that food is like time. There is no construct of it and I can have whatever food item I want for breakfast,"

Ken stood up so fast, I'm surprised he didn't get lightheaded, "I like this teacher. I'm borrowing that. Actually, I'm stealing it,"

Daniel rolled his eyes and I laughed, "Alright, surprise us then for breakfast and while you're at it, start talking,"