Twenty

Daniel

To say my new relationship with Quinn was strained is an understatement. We had been in more fights than I cared to count anymore and he had only been home for two weeks. How we were going to survive for the next few weeks while his leg healed was beyond me.

Every day it was the same. We'd wake up, share breakfast, go about our day, and then something would happen to piss one of us off, and then it was a screaming match. We'd suffer in silence until one of us would apologize and we'd fall asleep.

I was trying to be as patient as possible. I knew that this was probably affecting Quinn in a way I couldn't understand as I had walked away from the accident with a cut on my forehead from blowback from the airbags and minor bruising from the seatbelt.

I talked to Alex to get a better understanding of how to help him and when I suggested to Quinn that maybe he should talk to Alex, we got into a fight. Quinn swore up and down he was fine, but someone who is fine doesn't wake up in sweat or crying. They don't want to sit in the bedroom and stare at the ceiling. And they definitely don't jump every time a car is near ours.

I was lying on the couch when I heard a shout and I jumped up, running towards the bathroom. Quinn was lying on the ground, the crutches from the physical therapist strewn around him.

"Hey, hey. What happened?" I bent down to help him up and he groaned. I got the crutches to lean against the counter before picking Quinn up.

"I just wanted to use the restroom, but it's difficult to do that with crutches and a broken leg. This is so fucking stupid,"

"I know. Come on, I'll help you," Quinn grimaced at the idea, but let me help him. He shakily got the crutches underneath his arms again and hesitantly pushed himself forward.

"Do you wanna go to the couch? Listen to music or watch a movie?" I asked and Quinn stopped. He started to lose his balance, but I grabbed him and the crutches just in time.

"Actually, I'm kind of hungry. Maybe lunch and some TV?" I couldn't help the smile. That was the first time he had actually suggested something. This was good progress.

Quinn steadied himself again and we started heading towards the kitchen. Quinn sat down in his wheelchair, wheeling it around to grab plates. To accommodate him, I moved around
my cabinets so he could reach the necessary stuff without needing me.

One of our first arguments had been the fact that he was independent. He had been frustrated about being in a wheelchair and I had tried to help him out, but he insisted he could do things himself. It wasn't until he broke a cup that he accepted my help. Though, he wasn't happy about it. It was difficult trying to help him understand that while it was good to be independent, right now he was dependent on someone, and sometimes that's okay.

"So, I had an idea and it's completely up to you,"

"Mmhmm?"

I turned to face Quinn, "There's a farmer's market open tomorrow morning and I was thinking we could go down there and get some food? It's all grown locally and most of the time, they've got some of the best fruit and vegetables. Maybe we could invite some of our friends from the club to have a little party?"

Quinn thumbed at the wheels, moving back and forth slightly, "I think I could be okay with that. It's been a couple of weeks and Owen's not going to be around as much soon. I think it could be fun to see them again,"

"You're absolutely sure?"

"Yes, Daniel. I'm absolutely sure. In fact, I'll call Owen and Annie while you finish lunch,"