Three

Daniel

One nice thing about owning a night club is I could sleep in. Naturally, on the days I wanted to sleep in, Stella was bounding around the bed whining at me to take her outside. If I tried to ignore her, she would get right into my face and nudge my nose with hers.

This was one such occasion. I had turned my head to ignore the nose booping, but she was having none of that. She climbed on top of my chest and whined loudly. I cracked an eye open and there was her face in mine. With her ears perked up and head cocked to the side, she looked like she was questioning me.

"What, girl? You wanna go outside?" She immediately perked up, "You do? You wanna go outside?" Stella sat up and the bounded off the bed, leaving me clutching my stomach from her paws digging into my skin as she leapt off the bed.

I groaned and stood up, looking for the sweatpants I had taken off last night. I grabbed my slides and Stella's leash. Stella was already at the front door, wagging her tail and turning in circles. I clipped the leash to her collar and opened the door, bracing myself for Stella to start running. I shut the door and followed Stella as she sniffed around.

"Morning, Daniel!" Lydia waved to me and I nodded in her direction. Lydia made me want to claw my eyes out. She's been trying to get me into bed with her since she and her husband moved in.

Apparently, she didn't understand the words gay and not fucking interested. I was hoping she'd go back inside but to no avail, she bounced down her driveway and bent down to pet Stella. I could tell she was trying to show off her chest, but again. Gay and not fucking interested.

"Hello, Stella! Who's a pretty girl? Yes, that's right. You are,"

To her credit, Stella tried to dodge Lydia's forceful hand, but Lydia was not to be denied.

"Excuse us, Lydia. I've got work to do at home and I'd like to get back home before the sun sets,"

Lydia let out a shrill laugh and tapped my arm before making a face and caressing my arm, "Wow, you must be strong with those muscles. Do you work out daily?"

"I try to. Good morning Lydia," I tried not to sound rude as I turned back towards my house. In my driveway was a black truck. Great. Just what I wanted this morning: a dose of drama.

Ken was rifling through my fridge when I finally walked back in. He waved absentmindedly as he pulled out milk and eggs.

"How many?" He asked and I told him three.

Over the years, Ken and I had worked out a system. He could come over and vent whenever he felt like it so long as he did something for me in return. Like this morning, it was usually making food which I was totally fine with at nine in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I liked cooking, but cleaning was an absolute pain. I would rather sleep with Lydia before I wanted to clean and that was saying something considering my feelings towards Lydia.

Ken started cooking the eggs and pancakes for himself. He threw in tomatoes and spinach before flipping the omelets, "So, what's happened this time?"

"Can't I ever just come over and cook breakfast for my friend?"

"Sure, but you don't. Therefore, what did he do this time?"

"Oh, so you didn't see us yelling last night? Well, you remember that Ryan conveniently forgot our anniversary?"

"Yes, even though you were both wrong, but go on,"

"Well, technically we didn't end the contract. We're on a break and he had the nerve last night to spend his break on the lap of that new guy, Rich. So, naturally, I had to stop that—"