Chapter Six: Optimism

Author Note: this is an extremely long chapter, just warning you, so if you don't have much time you might want to break it up. Or, if you don't care for this episode, skip it. In the future, I may not be retyping all of the episodes, just the ones I find necessary for Monica's story. So, please enjoy, and don't forget to let me know what you think. If you'd prefer I can always post in tow parts.  So, thanks so much for reading, and I'll let you get to it!

  Monica lay on the floor, trying to get a quarter that had fallen between the cracks. It was the only thing to do anymore. She had read all the interesting books and done all the interesting things, and now all she had left was digging money out of dirty concrete.

Dean walked into the room. "Jeez, what's up with the sugar?" He murmured.

Monica looked to her brother. Jack was pouring what had to have been at least a cup of sugar into his drink.

"Without my powers, everything tastes different. So, I can't get this how I like it."

"Seen Sam?" Dean was getting himself a cup of coffee."

"He went to meet up with Charlie."

Monica was half-listening to the conversation as she picked at the quarter with a toothpick. It snapped in half.

"--I bet they're doing something really exciting right now."

She paused for a moment to think about that. Maybe they were in the middle of a fight right now. She smiled slightly. Hunting looked exciting, despite its dangers.

"--Sam wanted someone around when you came back." Jack paused for a moment. "He's worried about you."

Monica pulled out her thinnest knife and jammed at the quarter.

"Yeah, sounds like him," Dean said.

"Dean, what happened with Michael--no one blames you."

Dean glanced at the Nephilim. "Cool. Well, I blame me, so..."

Jack looked back to his cup. He coughed a few times. Monica's insides clenched with worry, and even Dean looked a little concerned.

"Still with that cough, huh?"

"Maybe I'm allergic to sitting around doing nothing." Jack looked at him pointedly.

Monica sat up. If they were going to do something, she was coming with. There's only so many times a person can read about killing things that shouldn't even exist.

Dean looked at his watch. "Alright. What do you want to do?"

Hunt, Monica thought. Or go hiking. Or skiing. But that looks hard...

"Hunt," Jack said.

Monica's eyes widened briefly. Great minds do think alike.

"Sam says I can't go alone," Jack continued. "But Cass and I, we've been working cases."

Dean just looked at him. "And Cass, he said you've been doing good on those. No offense, but Cass is an insurance policy on those hunts." Dean looked at him understandingly. "Sam's just trying to keep you safe. He's a smart guy." Dean nodded, confirming his own statement.

Jack slid a newspaper towards Dean. "Local man dead with what looks like bite marks on his neck. And other people have gone missing too."

Dean thought for a moment. "Sam's not gonna like it."