Chapter Nineteen: Ouroboros, Part Two

"All right. Everybody ready?" Dean looked around the room.

"Yes," Jack said, then looked at his sister as if double-checking. She gave a quick nod.

"He's less than an hour west of us and not moving," Rowena said.

"All right, well, break out the silver blades. Maggie says decapitation is the only way to kill these things."

Monica felt for the hilt of her sword. It was flat and discreet in her jeans.

"But if we cut off their head, then is more creatures gonna crawl out?" Dean asked.

Monica looked at him strangely.

"Wait. Other creatures?"

"I think he's talking about Clash of the Titans again," Monica said.

"We don't know," Dean said.

Monica looked at him. "I'm pretty sure we do."

Rowena handed the antivenom to Castiel. "A few drops of this concoction should counteract any poison. Theoretically."

"'Theoretically.' That's comforting," Cass said.

Monica agreed silently.

"Yeah, well, assuming you're not all paralyzed or eaten off with his head," Rowena added.

Monica and Castiel shared a glance.

Monica slipped in through the back door, her steps swift but slinky. Like a cat.

The gorgon turned to them. "Oh, no fair. You're not human."

"And you're a monster," Jack said.

"Demi-god, technically."

Castiel glared at him. "You stay where you are."

"Hey. I'm a lover, not a fighter."

"Jack, watch him. Monica, help me." Monica went with Cass and struggled to untangle the victim.

"I didn't see you coming, but I see you now," Noah said.

"Just shut it," Monica said.

"Have you ever heard the story of the black snake?"

Monica listened as he told what seemed like an incredibly stupid story. Chickens didn't have stoves. Therefore they can't boil eggs.

"Why are you telling this story?" Castiel asked.

"Because I can't quite tell if he's the chicken or the snake," Noah said, looking at Jack.

"We're done here," Castiel said. He began to fight the thing only to be kissed. Monica watched as he passed out, adrenaline trickling through her veins. 

"Cass!" Monica and Jack screamed in unison. Jack attempted to fight only to be hurled across the room like a ragdoll.

Just then Sam and Dean rushed in, looking around frantically.

Glad she was no longer in the spotlight, Monica slid along the walls to her brother.

"Jack," she hissed. "Jack, get up. Come on." She shook him, but he gave no response.

Monica looked behind her to see Sam flung to the ground like Jack and Dean bashed against the wall until he was passed out. She ignored the urge to run after Noah, knowing it wouldn't end well for her. Instead, she took her sword and pressed herself against the doorway, cringing at the sound of Sam being thrown again.