Chapter Eighteen: Ouroboros, Part One

Author Note: Hello, precious beans! Thanks so much for reading. Only six more to go before season fifteen! Not that I'm rushing, just looking forward to Moriah. Even though it is going to kill me to put Monica through that. So, don't forget to let me know what you think, I'm always up for constructive criticism, and I'll let you get to it!

                                                                              ✴✴✴

"I believe we are hunting a gorgon, an ancient, cursed being with an affinity for snakes and a hunger for human flesh," Rowena said, looking up from her book.

Monica moved closer to get a look. She had come to like Rowena. They had been hunting some stupid monster that always seemed to be able to outsmart them and had been researching for three hours.

"Snakes for hair? That's like Medusa," Dean said.

"You know about Medusa?" Rowena asked, seemingly pleased.

"Oh, yeah. Clash of the Titans? Turns guys to stone?"

"Oh." Rowena's enthusiasm had faded. "That's the exaggerated version. It's not stone. More of a venom-induced paralysis. Hence, the blackened lips."

"And the fact that the victims didn't fight back," Castiel said.

"And the snakeskin, which, frankly, was a bit on the nose," Rowena added.

Sam was looking at a chart. "Yeah. So we expanded our search based on this new information, and we found 17 unexplained deaths that could fit our guy, last three months, moving west across the southern U.S."

"17 people," Jack and Monica said in unison.

"Yeah."

"Legend has it, every few months, the gorgon goes on a spree and gorges itself," Rowena continued.

"Like a snake. That makes sense," Dean said.

"So, is there anything in there that explains why this gorgon keeps eluding us?" Castiel asked.

"Uh, some lore says that a gorgon can tell people's fates, and, by consuming human eyes, they may 'glimpse the future.'"

Monica moved over to Rowena to look in the book. "So that's why he sees us coming."

"So, then even if we use your tracking spell again, he'll know." Castiel sighed.

"So how do we get him?" Monica asked.

"I don't know."

                                                                              ✴✴✴

"So, Noah can see you, me, and Rowena," Sam said, talking to Dean on the phone.

"For the record, I don't love being included on his little hit list," Rowena said.

"But can't see Cass, Jack or Monica?" Dean asked.

"It's an odd and glaring omission," Castiel said.

"No...it's a good thing. If he can't see angels...this is our shot," Monica said, looking around the room.

"I'm not an angel," Jack said.

"Me neither," Monica added. 

"Well, apparently you're close enough. So, if Jack, Monica and I approach Noah on our own, we -- we may surprise him." Castiel looked thoughtful.

"Yeah. I-It's risky. But I-I think it's probably our best play," Sam said.

"Rowena, get your tracking spell ready," Dean said.

Monica looked at her. "Do you have everything?"

Rowena looked at her. "Aye, but I should mix up an antidote to the gorgon's poison in case one of you boys gets sloppy. I'll just need a wee bit of antivenom."

"Antivenom is a controlled substance. How do you --" Sam started.

"Don't worry. I have a plan." Rowena and Monica exchanged a smile.

                                                                                ✴✴✴

"Help! Please help us! It's our wee kitty -- she's so sick! She's not responding."

Monica didn't think Rowena was a very good actress, so she tried to dramatize her part. She gave a weak yowl of distress and twisted, fanning her claws.

"She's lethargic. We -- We think she might have eaten something," Sam said.

Monica thought he was a far better actor.

"'We think?' 'We think?' He means that it's my fault for not keeping an eye on the poor dear. He thinks that everything is my fault."

Monica smiled, or did the cat equivalent, anyway. Rowena was getting better.

"Can we not fight in front of the vet?" Sam asked, then huffed. "I guess it's not entirely your fault that you looked away!"

"He blames me for everything! I let his mother ride the Jet Ski one time!"

"She's my birthday present," Jack said. "I just got her last month. You have to save her."

The poor nurse just looked back and forth between them and finally to the cat. "Here, I'll just-- Let me take her." Monica tensed as the nurse picked her up. "What's her name?"

Sam and Rowena exchanged a frantic glance. "Oreo," Sam said.

"Sweet, poor Oreo," Rowena crooned.

"Her breathing's okay. Let me set her down in the back, check her vitals." Monica shot Sam and Rowena a cat glare. Oreo? Really?

"Thank you. Thank you so much. Please help her," Rowena pleaded.

                                                                           ✴✴✴

"Well, that was easy, wasn't it? You're the sweetest girl, aren't you? I'm going to have Mommy and Daddy fill out some forms. You wait right there."

Monica waited for the nurse to leave before leaping from the table, returning to human form. Her eyes darted back and forth between the rows of medicines in the cabinet before she located anti-venom. She grabbed it and fled.

She found Sam, Jack and Rowena outside. She held up the bottle for them to see.

Rowena beamed and took it from her. "Good job, dearie. You made a glorious kitty."

Monica smirked. "I know. Now, um, about the name. Is a cat named Monica all that strange?"

"What's wrong with Oreo?" Sam asked.

Monica avoided looking at him. She knew if she did, she might forget her point. "You can't name me after my favorite cookie. Just for future references, okay?"

Sam sighed in fake sadness. "Alright, fine."

"Thank you." Monica turned to Jack. "By the way, you suck at acting."