Chapter Sixteen: Prophet and Loss, Part One

Author Note: I have taken the creative liberties of altering small details in this episode. Instead of trying to fit Monica into the original episode, I had her and Jack work their own case. Please let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas for the direction of the story, please let me know that as well. Thanks so much for reading!

                                                                          ✴✴✴

Monica hung up the phone and pulled her computer closer. Sam, Dean, and Cass were busy doing something. Reception hadn't been good. She had been able to make out, 'Donatello' and a few other random words, but not enough to put together a story. It sounded like quite a job, though, and she didn't get why they didn't want her and Jack with.

She hadn't said so, of course. Things between her and all of the boys were tense. Dean because, well, now she knew all about him and he knew all about her, and the other two because of what had happened when Sam told them about Dean's box. While Cass and Jack were surprised, Monica already knew, and she had said a few...regrettable words that she didn't really regret but wished she did.

"Why does he have to blame himself so much? Why does he always feel like everything is his fault?" She had demanded, breath getting heavier. "If he doesn't want to be saved, why do we bother? If he doesn't want us, he can drown in the Pacific for all I care! It that's what he wants, just let him have it!"

Sam, Cass, and Jack stared at her, all in utter shock.

After she fled to her room, Cass was the first to try and make a move, but Sam told him to just give her space. That's what girls needed, he thought. Space. But he was just acting on a guess. Girls were hard.

Anyway, none of them (save for awkward goodbyes and basic small talk with Jack) had said anything to her.

And now she was here, pretending to read fanfiction while she searched for something to do.

Jack fell back into his chair. "I still don't understand why I couldn't go with."

"Why we couldn't go with, you mean?" Monica asked from behind her computer.

"Something like that," Jack muttered.

"Well, doesn't matter. I found a case. Town fifteen miles from here, three victims dead, all young girls. This comes after one girl and her boyfriend got in a car accident a month ago. Looks like she died."

Jack blinked. "Wait, are you serious? Sam Dean and Cass would kill us if we did something like this if the case itself didn't already. I'm not a very experienced hunter, and you're even less so."

"Even less so?" Monica asked. "You know we're in the twenty-first century, right? And it'll be fine. The one witness said the room got cold and a dark figure killed her friend. Obviously vengeful spirits. And they don't kill anyone but their targets."

"And the people that get in their way," Jack said, leaning across the table. "Not happening, okay? It's dumb and dangerous and there's no way we'd be done by the time they got back. It usually takes them days to work a case like this."

"Not always. Remember Harper? And that was a lot bigger than this."

Jack blinked. "We had Dean with."

"So? He didn't do anything. You're the one that fell in love with her, and I'm the one that knocked her out so you could get the zombie down."

"First of all, I didn't fall in love with her. If anything, she was in love with me. And Dean did plenty. Who do you think actually got the thing back in its box?"