Chapter Twenty Four: Don't Go In The Woods, Part Two

It was evening by the time Jack got back. Monica shoved her book underneath her pillow and left her room. As soon as her eyes met his, she knew something had happened. The kind of something he wouldn't tell her himself. So, seeing no other option, she decided to download it from his mind. If it were any other human, they probably wouldn't have noticed anything. But this was her brother, Lucifer's son. So...he noticed. "What did you just do?" He asked, stepping forward.

By that time Monica knew what had happened and her eyes were wider than the moon. "What did you do?" She asked, looking at him like it was the first time.

Jack's eyes narrowed slightly. "Doesn't matter."

"Yeah, it does," Monica breathed, taking a cautious step forward. "We need to talk, Jack."

"I'm fine."
"No, you're not." Her voice hardened. "You've changed."

Jack's face contorted in anger. "Leave me alone."
Monica tilted her head slightly in confusion. She had never seen him like this. "You need to tell them, you know," she whispered.

"No." His voice was sharp like steel. "It's fine. I fixed it. They don't need to know."

"Then I'll tell them." Monica turned and started walking in the other direction.

"No, you won't," Jack snarled, and extended his hand, whipping her back in his direction. He saw her eyes flare in shock, but before she could scream, he wiped her mind and knocked her out painlessly. She fell to the floor with a limp thunk. Jack sighed and walked over to her. He picked her up and set her on her bed. "I'm sorry," he whispered, and walked away, shutting the door behind him.

                                                                                      ✴✴✴

A while later Sam and Dean got back. "Hey," Dean said to Jack. "Did you get everything on the list?"

"Everything except the beer. I didn't have an ID," he explained at Dean's face.

"You have dozens of IDs."

"But they're all fake."

Sam exhaled a laugh. "Where's your sister?"

Jack sucked in his breath. "Sleeping. She fell and was knocked unconscious."

Dean's eyes widened. "Is she okay?"

Jack nodded. "She's fine. I healed her. She's just still sleeping."

"Where did she fall?"

Jack froze. "Uh--she fell down the stairs." He nodded his head in the direction.

Dean made a sound of, 'man, that sucks.' "Well. Other than that, did anything else happen?"

"Nope. Nothing."

"Mm. Okay."

                                                                                 ✴✴✴

Monica's eyes fluttered open. She jolted up and blinked a few times. Why the hell was I asleep? She slid off her bed only to stumble to the floor. She sighed and stood up again. She closed her eyes and tried to remember what happened. She remembered reading her book, then Jack got back, then...that was all.

She jerked her head up at the knock on the door. A moment later, it opened. It was Dean. "Hey."

She managed a nod in his direction.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

She locked eyes with him. "Yeah. I'm fine. I just...feel like how I imagine a hangover feeling."

Dean smirked. "Must of banged yourself up pretty good."

"What?"

"Jack said you fell down the stairs."

That's why my memory is crap. "Oh. Um, I don't know. I don't really remember." She smiled weakly. "How was the hunt?"

Dean thought. "It was...it was different, I'll tell you that."

"Mmm." Monica studied him. "So what? You wanted to see if I was alive? You had a reason for coming here."

He grinned. "Yeah, well. Just heard the thud and thought I should check."

Monica exhaled a laugh. "Well, I'm fine."

"Good." He brushed her hair out of her eyes.

They sat in silence for a moment. Dean's eyes drifted across the room, stopping at the floor beside her bed. "What's that?"

Monica turned to see her book. Damn it. "Nothing," she said as casually as possible, picking it up and holding it behind her back.

Dean gave her a, 'you are a terrible liar' stare. "Come on, what is it?"

"What does it look like?"

"A book."

"Exactly. A book. So why do you care?"

"Just curious." He stood up. "Well, I guess I'll leave you alone."

Monica relaxed and set the book on her dresser.

Just as Dean turned and ripped it from her hand. He studied the cover and flipped it over, then looked at her. "To all The Boys I've Loved Before? Really? Are you kidding me?" He tossed it onto her bed. "I thought you were the kind of girl that doesn't read that soppy crap." He studied her. "This changes my whole opinion of you."

Monica smiled. "Now you're just being dramatic. It's a good book!"

"Yeah, I'm sure," Dean said sarcastically, looking at it. "Looks fascinating."

"It is. And they make a movie of it. It's on Netflix."

He stared at her for a minute. "So this is what you do when we're not around."

"Is there something wrong with that?"

"Yeah. Too much to say in one sentence." He turned to the door.

"You can't knock it til you've tried it!" Monica called as he walked down the hallway. She smiled to herself and sat back on her bed, picking up the book. She opened to where she left off and continued to read.

                                                                                     ✴✴✴

Author Note: Hi, wonderful people! Thanks so much for reading. Again, I wasn't sure how to work Monica into either story, so I tried to come up with one on my own. It's nowhere near Supernatural quality, but I tried.  So don't forget to let me know what you think and again, just thanks so much for reading it means the world to me! And OMG I just realized Game Night is the next episode...the end is coming. :)