Chapter Eleven: The Spear, Part One

Author Note: First, I just want to say this episode will be posted in two chapters. Second, ...number one in Nephilim! At least for the time being. So thanks so much for your reads and votes, I can't tell you how much it means to me!

                                                                                    ✴✴✴

  Monica traced the image of a Christmas tree on her computer. She'd never had Christmas, save for that time at that orphanage, and she didn't really want another. Why should you celebrate the birth of Jesus by gorging yourself and spending bucket loads on presents? Not to mention, the music was stupid.

She glanced at the clock. 2:34. AM. She had decided to stop sleeping, at least for a little while, due to her intense Michael nightmares. She slammed the laptop shut and walked down the hallway, footsteps silent. Maybe she'd watch Sam sleep again. That was always interesting.

Monica stopped when she heard more noise. It sounded like...eating? She found Jack with a bowl of cereal in the kitchen. He looked at her. "What are you doing up?"

"I could ask you the same thing." She grabbed a handful of cereal and slid into the seat beside him.

Cass walked into the room. "Don't tell Sam," Jack and Monica said at the same time. Monica glanced at her brother and shoved another handful into her cheeks.

"It's the middle of the night," Castiel said, looking at both of them.

Monica didn't say anything.

"I know, but I couldn't wait until breakfast. Sam says this stuff will rot your teeth out, but--I like it."

"So do I," Monica said.

"Jack, if you can't sleep that's understandable, with the recent events."

"You mean dying and coming back to life," Jack said.

Cass nodded. "Yeah, we've all been through it. Something of a right of passage around here."

Monica's face paled. She didn't fancy dying or coming back to life. Castiel looked at her and sensed her fear. "Nothing is going to happen to you," he said.

"We don't know that. This life is full of risks."

"Yes, but you're also the most powerful being in the universe."

"Believe it or not, that doesn't make you any more safe." Monica shoved more cereal in her mouth and looked at Cass with huge squirrel eyes.

Cass blinked. "Just trust me, okay?"

She shrugged.

"That's not it," Jack said. "I've been thinking about heaven, and...my mom. How could the empty get it? And I thought heaven was supposed to be perfect."

Monica froze at the thought of not even heaven being perfect and safe. If you weren't safe in heaven, how could you even hope for safety on earth?

"No," Cass said. "It's not. Nothing's ever perfect, Jack. But I know Naomi, and she's complicated, but there is nothing she won't do to protect the souls that are in her charge."

Jack looked down into his bowl.

"Try not to worry, okay?" Cass looked from Jack to Monica. "That goes for you, too."

"Okay," both siblings said in unison.

"Okay." Cass stood up.

"Cass--" Jack started. "The deal you made--why can't Sam and Dean know?"