Chapter Twenty Seven: Absence, Part One

Jack stared at his sister, the realization of what he just did finally sinking in. "I--I didn't mean to," he whispered, looking at the pile of gray.

"We need to tell Sam and Dean," Monica said softly.

Jack spun on her. "What? No. We aren't telling them anything. Not until we fix it."
"How are you going to fix this, Jack? Find a spell? Make a deal? You can't run from this. You have to tell them." She stepped closer to him. "We need to go home."

"No," he said, in a tone so dark it scared her. "You need to help me."
"But--I can't bring people back, Jack."

"Why not? You can do everything else!"
"I know, but--I can't. I can't bring Mary back. If I could I would." She looked at him. "The more you run from this, the less you'll want to come back. Now we need to go home."

"You go home," Jack said, and gave her a shove, wiping her memory and landing her on the floor of the bunker.

Unhurt, she jumped to her feet and looked around.

Just then the door opened and Sam and Dean came home. "Mom? Jack? Monica? Anyone home?" Dean called.

Monica stepped out of the library. "I am."
Dean looked at her. "Hey. Where are the other two?"

Monica thought, then looked at him. "I don't know."

Dean stepped closer to her. "What do you mean, you don't know?"

"I...don't remember."

"Do you remember getting here?"

She swallowed and tried to think. "I landed on the floor. And...that's all I remember."

Sam walked over. "You just landed on the floor?"
Monica nodded.

Sam and Dean looked at each other. "The only person that could have done that was Jack," Sam said.

"Yeah, but why would Jack throw his sister back home? I mean, aren't you guys pretty close?"

Monica thought of all the times in the past when he'd ignored her, shrugged her off. "Yeah," she replied, not wanting Dean to worry.

"I'll try Mom," Sam said, picking up his phone.

A minute later, a ring came from the bag on the table.

"Must've left in a hurry," Monica said. "I'll try Jack." She dialed and waited. It rang twice before he dismissed it. She looked at Dean. "He's not picking up."

"Yeah. Thanks. Okay. All right, thanks." Sam hung up his phone.

"What did Jody say?" Dean asked.

"She hasn't heard anything."

"You?"

"Nada. Left voicemails for Donna, Charlie, Bobby."

"What about Rowena?" Monica asked.

Sam glanced at her. "Yeah, just got off the phone with her. She says she has a spell that might track them down."

"Good." Dean's phone started to ring. He picked it up. "Hey, Cass."

Monica moved closer so she could hear him.

"I got your message. Nick was trying to raise Lucifer?"

"Yeah."

"Where is he now?" Castiel asked.

"I don't, uh -- Kid said he took care of him. So, right now, we're just trying to find Jack and Mom."

"Are they together?"

Monica could hear the anxiety in his voice.

"Yeah," Dean replied.