Chapter Twenty One: Peace of Mind, Part One

Author Note: Hello, wonderful readers! This was one of my favorite episodes. Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions, I greatly appreciate it. As always, thank you so much for reading, I love you guys!

"Oh. Thought you, uh, were gonna sleep until the cows dragged you home," Castiel said.

Monica turned to see who he was talking to. It was Dean.

Dean sighed. "That's not the -- Never mind. I was putting some gear away, and Rowena called."

Monica started listening. She had come to admire Rowena.

"How is she?" She asked.

Dean looked at her as if just noticing she was there. "Not great. She's coping. But, uh, you know, at least she's not dead. How's Jack?"

"Well, he says he's good, but what about Sam?" Castiel asked.

"He says he's good. I think they're both full of crap." He looked at Monica again. "How are you, by the way? Jack get all your mojo back?"

"As far as I know."

"No side effects or consequences?"

She shook her head.

"Let me rephrase that: I think all three of them are full of crap," he said to Cass.

"Found us a case," Sam said, walking into the room. "Arkansas."

"We've just done three back-to-back hunts. I need some rest. At least a night. We both do," Dean replied.

"Yeah, well I'm leaving in ten," Sam said. He turned to Monica. "Wanna come?"

"Sure--" Monica started, thrilled at the idea of hunting with Sam.

"Actually," Castiel cut in, "I need her here. I'll go with you. And you two can stay with Jack."

"Why?" Dean and Monica asked at the same time, Dean with blunt confusion and Monica with whiny disappointment.

"You were right. Jack is struggling. And I've tried, but --

"Why do you think he'll talk to me?"

"Or me?" Monica asked. "He doesn't tell me everything like you think he does."

"Well, because he looks up to you," he said, looking at Dean. "And if he's going to spill anything, it'll be to you," he continued, his eyes shifting to Monica. "And his soul -- I mean, you've seen this before." His eyes moved back to Dean.

"No, no. No.," Dean said. "See, I was -- I was not great with Sam, you know, when he was, uh But Jack's soul isn't completely gone. At least I don't think so."

"W-We just don't know how much is left."

"Well, how am I supposed to figure that out?"

"I don't know! Just talk to him. Get him to open up. And then sleep until the cows come home."

"There it is. That's the saying."

Monica went to see what Jack was doing. He was holding a snake.

She jumped, her face paling.

Jack looked at her and smiled slightly.

"You kept the snake," she said wearily, taking a cautious step off to the side.

"What? You're afraid of snakes?"

His tone was respectful in every way, but it still irritated her. "Of course not. It's an animal. I am the daughter of an archangel." To prove her weak point, she tapped the snake lightly on the head, like a dog. "See?"