Chapter Seven: Unhuman Nature

Castiel sat next to Jack's bed. Beside him was Monica. Her eyes had been locked on her brother ever since she'd entered the room, and nothing would take them off him. Cass could feel her immense worry wafting off her in overwhelming waves. Like Chernobyl, he thought. If an angel or demon got anywhere near her, they'd feel the radiation of whatever emotion she was going through. 

        He placed his palm over Jack's forehead and tried to heal him again. He only coughed more blood. 

        "Let me try." Monica's voice was barely audible. She had already tried five times. Even so, Castiel moved aside. 

    Monica's left palm began to light up. She placed it directly on her brother's forehead and closed her eyes. 

    Cass could see how hard she was trying, how much it was crushing her that it wasn't working. 

    She sat back again, eyes beading with tears that she tried furiously to blink away. "Why do I even have this much power if I can't do anything good with it?" She was shaking, slightly. "I just found my brother, and now I'm going to lose him." She looked at Castiel. "I had him for two weeks." She placed both of her hands on his chest and tried again, so hard her eyes lit up gold. 

    Jack's body jerked once, and his eyes opened halfway. He coughed again and struggled to sit up, then fell back again. Castiel touched Monica's shoulder once, a silent, 'I'm going to see Sam and Dean, stay or come.'

    Monica stood on shaky legs and followed him out the door. Dean looked at her. "Well?"

    "I can't heal him."

    Dean huffed. "Great. If mini female God can't help him, what are we supposed to do?"

     Castiel looked at her out of the corner of his eyes. Now waves of guilt were emanating from her body. "I don't know what's wrong with him," he said, stroking her hair. 

    "Well, can't you figure it out?" Dean asked. 

Just then there was a thud. "Jack?" Sam asked. 

They hurried down the hall, back to Jack's room. he had fallen off the bed onto the floor and was coughing again. 

    Sam raced over to him and flipped him over. Now he was foaming at the mouth. 

Cass could hardly focus, Monica's waves of alarm were so strong they practically blocked out everything else. He turned to her. "Could you go in the hallway for a second?"

    She studied him for a moment, then realized what the problem was. "Sorry," she whispered and left the room. 

    After a moment they left and went to take Jack to the hospital. Monica kept her hand on Jack's the whole time. 

    "We need a doctor!" Dean yelled as soon as they stepped through the doors. 

   No one looked even vaguely alarmed. 

   "Can you please just let him inside?" Dean asked the lady behind the desk a minute later.

    "I'm sorry, sir, we just need some basic information. Standard protocol."

Monica was shaking hard now. Cass placed a hand on her back in an attempt to steady her. 

    "Yeah, basic information is he's sick," Dean said. 

   "Do you see anyone here who isn't?" The lady replied. 

    Dean sighed. 

    "Full name, please," the lady asked.