1 - PILOT

BORN TO DIE
PILOT

SEPTEMBER 4th was a day of new things. For all teens of Mystic Falls high, it was a new school year. For some, it would be the beginning of forming their futures, for others they were flying the coop. For Madeleine, it was the beginning of junior year, for her and nearly one hundred over people. Out of all of these hormonal jocks, preps, and nerds, Madeleine wasn't friends with anyone of them. Friendships were formed in freshman year, and while Madeleine knew the risks with hers, she continued to seek comfort in only one. Now, as she sat in front of her school, her earphones in as she waited for the school bell, she had no friends. Her best friend, Charlotte Czerny, was a year her senior and now had the world at her feet. That evening, she would vacate Mystic Falls to the wondrous cities that Europe had to offer. 

The first bell rang and Madeleine stood from the broken bench in the school's courtyard. She allowed her music to keep playing as she walked through the halls. She approached the locker she had owned for the past two years, everything how she left it. She paused her music and removed the earphones, folding them into a neat bundle and then placing them on the top shelf of her locker. She rummaged her bag for her new schedule determined to find out her class first period. She found the crumpled piece of paper between the pages of her English textbook. She read the paper, sighing when she realised that history was first. She traded her textbooks from her locker to her bag and closed it as she made her way to the history classroom. 

Madeleine was determined this year to pick the perfect seats in her classes. She made the mistake last year of sitting near the front for her math class. The choice made her teacher very eager to call upon her for answers when math was Madeleine's worst subject. In history, she had sat near the window and had to suffer the glare of the sun all through summer. So, this year she sat in the second row from the back. Therefore, she wasn't in Tanner's direct view nor could she be named a loner for occupying one of the back seats. However, the boy behind her was not someone she would label such a name. Matt Donovan, one of Mystic Falls star football players. He was definitely not a loner but after his relationship with Elena Gilbert ended, the lovesick football player had isolated himself as he mourned. After class, Madeleine returned to her locker to retrieve her Spanish textbook. As she made the switch from History to Spanish, a figure approached her. She saw the blue heels first. Panning up to her face, she saw the one and only Caroline Forbes. "Hi."

"Hi." Madeleine smiled politely and returned to her locker. However, as Madeleine expected Caroline to walk away, she did no such thing. She looked back at the blonde hoping for some clarification on the situation. 

"I'm Caroline." She introduced, pointing to herself. 

"I know." The two had been in the same class for ten years, it was difficult not to know Caroline. None of it, however, seemed to clarify why Caroline had decided to acknowledge Madeleine after so long. 

"Right, of course," Caroline muttered. "Well, I wanted to invite you to lunch. With me." 

"Why?" 

"Well, I thought because Charlotte wasn't here anymore, so maybe you needed a friend, and maybe I could be that friend." Madeleine found it very hard to believe that Caroline came up with this idea alone. There had been many instances that resulted in Madeleine being alone and Caroline not doing anything about it. It was, however, believable that Charlotte would orchestrate something like this. It seemed like the meaningful parting gift, Charlotte would want to leave behind. 

"I appreciate it, Caroline, but I'm good." Madeleine rejected as politely as she could. The shorter blonde closed her locker and turned her back to Caroline as she walked towards her next lesson.