13 - LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

BORN TO DIE
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

BORN TO DIELET THE RIGHT ONE IN

NATE STAYED LATE THAT NIGHT. It was like a switch in Madeleine's brain. Whenever Nate was near, she crumbled into the freshman school girl that was in love with him but as soon as he left, the feelings faded and feelings of anger and hate crept back in. She didn't know how to turn it off. She barely noticed she was doing it. She trusted Stefan and Elena to keep her grounded but it would only go so far. When they were alone, she was powerless. He knew how to talk to her, how to tap into that lonely part of herself.

Madeleine realised she had hit a low point when she woke up in her living room and found Nate sound asleep on her couch. She hadn't just left him in her head, she let him in her home, under her skin. Her body shook as she stood from the chair she had been folded into. Reality hit her with the morning sun. What had she done? Daniel wasn't blind to her mistake. He stood in the kitchen, glaring at the couch, stirring his coffee with fury in his movements. Madeleine met her father's eyes. She moved uncomfortably under his gaze, her head hung in shame. She moved herself from the chair and walked towards the kitchen where her father was leaning against the counter.

"What is he doing here?" Daniel wasted no time to ask, venom in his voice as he spat. Madeleine's eyes widened. She never knew her father could have so much hate towards a random teenager.

A sigh left her lips as she dreaded explaining her mistakes. "We had a couple of drinks after the date last night."

Daniel scoffed. His daughter drinking was the least of his worries. "Madeleine, I thought Charlotte warned you about him. He's dangerous."

"Well, Charlotte isn't here, is she?" Madeleine snapped. Her eyes closed as she took a calming breath. "I'm sorry but..I've missed him, dad. The person he used to be and he's becoming that again."

Daniel lowered his cup to the table, trying to not lose his temper with his daughter. "Isn't the fact that he hurt Charlotte enough?"

"Not when you won't tell me everything." She exclaimed. "If I were human I would say yes but now I live in a world where you can kill and people still think you're redeemable. I don't know who to trust and who to be afraid of."

Daniel looked down. He had failed. He didn't want his daughter to be afraid. "Can you trust me?"

Madeleine gulped, hesitating for a second. "Can you tell me everything?"

Daniel sighed. "Madeleine, I have kept things from you to keep you safe, to keep you less afraid."

"I'm always afraid." The blonde whispered quietly. Daniel paused. He was supposed to protect her, to slash away fear and keep her safe. He wasn't doing right by his promises and that tore him apart.

Daniel walked around the kitchen island and placed his hands on his daughter's arms. She looked up at him, trying to blink away the tears. "I will let you know everything. The good and the bad. But please listen to me, that boy is bad, evil. I want him out of our house."