6 - HAUNTED

BORN TO DIE
HAUNTED

HALLOWEEN. One of Madeleine's favourite times of the year. Halloween was always a lively time in the Sullivan household. It began with Madeleine's mother, Eva, decorating every inch of their home in cobwebs and pumpkins. Eva would dedicate the entire month to the supernatural festival. The Sullivan's would spend the month baking Halloween goods, saging the house, and casting incantations into the open air. Eva adored Halloween and after her death, the last two Sullivan's continued the tradition. However, they had cut down the celebration to just the last week in October. The Sullivan household was the most decorated house on their street. Madeleine had stuck many cobwebs and fake spiders to their door as well as hanging up talisman's that were supposed to protect their house from demons.

Madeleine arrived at school solo. Caroline was too busy planning costumes for tonight's school Halloween party and Bonnie had not been returning Madeleine's phone calls all weekend. Madeleine didn't think much of it and assumed Bonnie was busy as well. Madeleine found Bonnie at her locker and greeted her with a 'hey'. Bonnie's mouth gaped as she began to look around awkwardly. Thankfully, Caroline arrived.

"I have got your costumes." Caroline sang as she approached the two girls, bags in hand. She handed a bag each to the two girls and delved inside. Bonnie removed the dress from the bag, recognising it as a witch's outfit.

"Seriously?" Bonnie asked as if Caroline was mocking her. Caroline sighed as she pressed her back against the locker.

"Can someone please be excited that it's Halloween? I just want to have fun, you know, just some silly, fluffy, Damon-free fun." Caroline explained. Madeleine looked in her own bag and discovered a vampire costume which made her all the more excited.

"I'm excited." Madeleine declared and Caroline cheered as someone shared her enthusiasm. Bonnie continued to search her bag and found a familiar-looking necklace.

"Hey, isn't this the necklace you got from Damon?" Bonnie asked.

"Yep. Wear it, toss it. I don't care. I just want it gone." Caroline declared as she continued the healing process of Damon Salvatore. "Hey, have either of you seen Elena? Do we know what she's wearing?"

Madeleine shook her head as she and Elena were not the closest out of the three new friends she had made. Elena seemed to spend a lot of her time with Stefan and Madeleine never really had the chance to get to know her. Bonnie answered Caroline. "I was with Grams all weekend. I haven't talked to her. Maybe she's with Stefan."

Caroline scoffed. "Riding to his castle on his white horse."

The two girls looked at the blonde with sympathy. "Don't be bitter," Madeleine told her. "It provokes wrinkles."

¤¤¤

Madeleine returned home to find the rest of her home decorated. The smell of sugar and chocolate greeted her at the door as her father baked Halloween cupcakes. She wandered to the kitchen where she found her father mixing icing. "Hi, honey. How was school?"

"Alright. How are the cupcakes coming along?" She asked, eyeing the tray of treats.

"Try one." Daniel offered her. Madeleine picked one of the finished cupcakes, covered in chocolate icing and a witches hat on top. She bit into the cupcake and released a moan of deliciousness.

"It's amazing." She complimented. As she munched on the festive cupcake a thought popped into her head. She made a sound of remembrance as she recalled what she was supposed to ask her father. "Hey, do we have any Halloween makeup? I'm going as a vampire."