12 - THERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD

BORN TO DIE
THERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD

BORN TO DIETHERE GOES THE NEIGHBOURHOOD

MADELEINE was scared and confused. A man had died in front of her eyes. A man who knew her name, who was associated with creatures outside town lines. She had only just realised the stretch of her curse. She remembered Sheila's warning. How many people would be afraid of her? How many people would use her?

It was difficult to force herself back to reality. Her fake reality where witches and vampires didn’t exist. It was hard to smile when Caroline asked her to attend a triple date with a mysterious suitor. It was hard to pretend like there wasn’t a target literally painted on her back. Madeleine was uneasy and she didn’t belong in a high school, she belonged in a mental asylum.

Madeleine stood outside the grill alone. The girl bounced up and down, practically shaking out of her skin. Caroline was late. Something about finding the perfect outfit was tying up her time. She needed something outstanding in a jealous attempt to outshine Elena Gilbert who despite Caroline’s worries, had no intention in getting back together with her ex boyfriend. The same couldn’t be said for Matt however.

Elena and Stefan were the first to arrive, eager as ever to get a jump start on their oh so normal lives. It was a ploy to prove to themselves that they could have a normal, functioning relationship. They noticed Madeleine’s panic from miles ahead and caused concern within themselves. “Hey, are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” Madeleine’s voice raised an octave. The couple narrowed their eyes at her and it was enough for her to snap. “Of course I’m not okay. I saw a man die last night and your creepy, mysterious mother knows who I am, which probably means there’s a bounty on my head.”

The duo couldn’t help but chuckle. They forgot this was new to her. She would get used to the impending doom in a couple of weeks. Elena stepped forward. “Madeleine, you’re fine. Tonight you are not cursed-witch Madeleine, you are human-teenager Madeleine who is going to have a nice night with her friends.”

The blonde smiled. She appreciated the small moment of kindness from the brunette. Her eyes drifted past Elena’s head and her smile dropped. “And Nate.”

The trio turned to the group walking towards them. Caroline and Matt arm in arm, Caroline laughing a little too much at whatever Matt was saying. Beside them Nate Foley walked with his stupid grin and stupid perfect hair. Madeleine felt a bubble of anger mainly at herself for how drawn she was. She ended her life with Nate so why was it creeping back in?

“Hey, guys” Caroline greeted with immense enthusiasm. The trio did not return her greeting as they shared a look of shock and distaste towards Nate. The blonde girl looked between the group, finding their silent staring to be incredibly weird and awkward. “Should we go inside?”

Elena snapped back before everyone else. She closed her hanging mouth and began nodding her head. She poked her boyfriend who also came back.

Madeleine was squished in a booth between Nate and Stefan. She could not say she was comfortable in any sense of the word. She slightly hoped that a bounty would come after her at this very moment. Madeleine tried her best to join the conversation which for her was a large improvement. She was mostly to distract herself from the linger arm that was lazily wrapped around her shoulder. “Madeleine, you used to be on the cheer team once didn’t you?”