17 - ISOBEL

BORN TO DIE
ISOBEL

IN LIGHT OF NATE'S DEATH, MADELEINE MADE A PROFOUND DECISION: to stop living her life as a human

IN LIGHT OF NATE'S DEATH, MADELEINE MADE A PROFOUND DECISION: to stop living her life as a human. Pretending that she was human was what made her weak. It was the reason she was unable to escape her prison and fight back. Pretending to be human left her untrained and unprepared for the horrors of her new world. Vampires and witches oh my, that would stop at nothing to bring her pain. This wasn't a world she could run from. If she wanted her chance at survival, she had to embrace her true self. Human Madeleine died alongside Charlotte and Nate. Now, there was nothing left. She was a new person in a new world. But still, Madeleine was still Madeleine. And in this world, she still made mistakes.

Madeleine hunted the school in search of Caroline. Her father was right. If she pushed everyone away, she would just be alone. She couldn't deny that Caroline hadn't been the closest friend she had since Charlotte died. Madeleine took that for granted. Like she did Charlotte's friendship. She didn't lie to Stefan when she said she was a bad friend. Truthfully, she never had to put any effort into her friendship. Charlotte was always there whether she liked it or not. Caroline was the same. Madeleine assumed it didn't matter what she said or did, Caroline would still be there. Oh, how she was wrong.

Tomorrow was Founder's Day in Mystic Falls which meant that the high school were spending the whole day building floats. And who else would devote their entire time to have complete control over this? Madeleine knew exactly where Caroline would be. The blonde rushed into the cafeteria, moving a mile a minute. The hall was packed with students and crafting paper. Madeleine spotted Bonnie and dashed towards her.

She grasped Bonnie's arm. "Hey, have you seen Caroline?"

"She's working on the float. is everything okay?" Bonnie asked, reading the panicked look on Madeleine's face. The blonde was flushed from the speed she was walking to find Caroline.

"Yeah, it's just...me and her are kind of on the outs. I was mean to her, and I shouldn't have been."

"What happened?"

Madeleine looked at her hands. She was ashamed of her behaviour and didn't want to admit to Bonnie that she has been horrible to one of her best friend's. "Nate's death affected me a lot more than I thought it would. She was trying to help, and I pushed her away."

Bonnie's face relaxed into a sympathetic expression. She understood where Madeleine was coming from. She was treating Elena the same way. "Caroline doesn't push away easily. Just talk to her, she'll understand."

Madeleine chuckled. She wasn't sure about that. "I might've done it this time."

Madeleine found Caroline in front of the half-made float with a clipboard in her hands asserting dominance over the study body. Caroline caught Madeleine's but rolled her own and looked back at her clipboard.

"Caroline," Madeleine pleaded. The blonde girl didn't blink. "Caroline, please talk to me. I'm sorry."

"Whatever," Caroline muttered and pushed past Madeleine. The witch followed.