11 - A FEW GOOD MEN

BORN TO DIE
A FEW GOOD MEN

RUNNING from demons was not easy

RUNNING from demons was not easy. Daniel Sullivan spent twenty years of his life fleeing from the devil and still it had caught up with him. Targeting his daughter whom he swore to protect. Now Madeleine was running from those same demons. Ones she was still unaware of but were still coming. The witch practiced magic alone. Bonnie Bennet had lost her grandmother to magic and had returned to her human family to mourn and grieve the loss of Sheila Bennett. Madeline too felt the loss. The fear of what magic could bring settled in her but brough no more fear than her fate. The target on her back was a reminder of what the dangers of her very existence were. It encouraged her to be strong, to be able to fight whatever witch, vampire, or spirit that came her way. Her father watched from the sidelines, watching her power grow stronger with every spell. It only stirred fear in his stomach. It was clear that everything he tried to avoid was inevitable. There was a chance he would lose his daughter to the darkness and that very thought made him feel utterly defenceless. 

Madeleine studied her ancestor's grimoire cover to cover. The language that was once so foreign to her tumbled off her lips in fluency. She felt connected to her magic, to the earth. For so long she felt out of place in Mystic Falls. Like she was just an average girl dropped in the wrong town hoping to get out. She had hoped for adventure. She dreamed of days she would walk the cities of Japan or Italy or Scotland. She wanted to marvel at the world's offerings but instead she was given a chapter in Twilight. Being a witch suddenly meant more to her than she ever realised. With the death of Sheila Bennett, Madeleine felt like she owed it to her to fight back. She owed it to her mother and father and Czerny's; everyone who had sacrificed for her survival. She couldn't allow them to fight alone anymore. 

The witch sat crossed legged on her bed the following morning. The grimoire lay open in front of her as she mumbled words under her breath. Candles and crystals were scattered across her duvet. Daniel sat downstairs. His research was scattered across the table, a red pen in his hand as he sipped his cup of coffee. He knew what his daughter was doing upstairs. It made him unsettled. Nervous. This was everything he was trying to prevent. He was shocked when someone knocked on the door. Without the Czenry’s in town, the Sullivan’s were no longer a popular household. They were hidden from the community. No one really knew them. Daniel set his mug on the table and swiftly moved towards the door. His eyes squinted at him, an almost glare coming out of them. “Nate. What are you doing here?” His tone was not friendly. 

Nate pushed through his disdain and smiled. “I’m here to see Madeleine.”

“I wasn’t aware that you two were back together.” The older man crossed his arms in front of his chest as he spoke. 

“Well, we’re not...yet” The blonde smiled optimistically. Daniel only narrowed his eyes. “So, may I come in?” 

The boy etched forward as if to welcome himself in, however, Daniel’s hand grasped the doorway, blocking his movement. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.”