22 - MEMORY LANE

BORN TO DIE
MEMORY LANE

THE GRILL HAD BECOME A SECOND HOME TO MADELEINE

THE GRILL HAD BECOME A SECOND HOME TO MADELEINE. With the amount of time she had spent there rather than her own home, she was beginning to consider relocating. She had spent the night at home with Caroline, ignoring her father who was too deep in his work to even say hello. Since Daniel revealed his secrets to his daughter, he felt the need to prove to her that everything would be okay. But instead of hugging her or offering her words of encouragement, he threw himself into finding a cure. Madeleine wanted to be grateful but she wanted her father back.

Caroline had left her house early after hours of crying and watching Bridget Jones Diary to go for a morning hunt. As Madeleine sat at home, studying her grimoire back to back and practicing spells, she got an unexpected call from Elena. It was unexpected in the sense that in group meetings, it was always Stefan that had asked for her help. Usually because Bonnie was the first call and Madeleine was called when Bonnie said no. That's what she expected when she picked up the phone from Elena.

However, to her surprise, Elena's problem wasn't witch related -- entirely. After discovering that Mason Lockwood was in fact a werewolf, Elena wanted to do some research on the species. Though, of course, when you google the word werewolf it's just pictures of Michael J Fox. So, Elena asked if Madeleine had any reliable information on werewolves from her grimoire or Daniel's research.

Madeleine's first thought was to ask her father. After all he was the specialist, the man who had spent nearly two decades researching every magical creature that posed a threat to his daughter. But it would be no use. The man was incapable of detaching himself from his work especially when the stakes were so high. Again, Madeleine tried to be mindful. Instead she raided his files herself. Daniel had locked himself in his bedroom but the whole house was littered with essays and graphic drawings of monsters. Since finding out the truth, Daniel made no effort to hide his work. Madeleine was still deciding if it was for better or worse. At least before he was still present.

Madeleine gathered as much paper that remotely mentioned the word werewolf and stuffed them in her bag. She met Elena at the Grill, the habitual meeting place of anyone in Mystic Falls. Madeleine had never frequented it as much as she had in the past year. Elena was so grateful for Madeleine's help. It was true that Madeleine was the first person she called even if she wasn't entirely the first person Elena thought of. Madeleine couldn't blame her. The two weren't exactly friends. Even after discovering an ally in each other, the two never became close. There was no resentment between them, just distance. Madeleine couldn't fault Elena for wanting to call Bonnie first when she would've probably called Caroline or even Stefan before Elena.

In truth, Elena wanted to do this herself. As a human she felt defenceless all the time, allowing the Salvatore brothers to save her at every turn. She loved Stefan but she couldn't stand the idea of letting him put himself in harms way for her and anything that involved Damon, Elena was adamant to get away from. Now with two witches in their inner circle and Caroline becoming a vampire, Elena was the only human that had to fight her battles hand and fist. She was scared. But what scared her more was losing somebody else she loved. So if learning was the only thing she could do then she would. She would learn and understand and speak with love and harmony because that was the only power she had. But in the end, she still needed help. And despite all things, Madeleine was happy to lend a hand.