7 - 162 CANDLES

BORN TO DIE
162 CANDLES

A pained groan fell from Madeleine's lips as she felt a thousand rocks hit her head. Her eyes weakly opened, flinching at the light. Slowly, Madeleine removed herself from the comfort of her bed and hauled herself across the room to her bathroom. Her pale hands clasped the porcelain sink as she took deep breaths to keep her from throwing up. She pulled back the mirror in front of her to the cabinet that lay behind it. Inside was an array of perfumes, moisturisers, and most importantly; pain relief. Removing two tablets from the packet, Madeleine threw them into her mouth, swallowing them dry. 

Madeleine returned back to her room. She sat on her bed and closed her eyes as she let the pain settle. Nonetheless, she walked over to her closet and began dressing for the day ahead. Following getting dressed, Madeleine needed breakfast. In any other situation, that would be fine. She would go downstairs and eat her blueberry pancakes and coffee without a second thought. Although, now, it was a matter of facing her father. She didn't know where she stood with her dad. She knew he was lying to her and if he would keep denying it then she wouldn't know what to do. It was getting to a point where Madeleine almost considered what Bonnie had said last night. Was that part of the secret? Why her father had been so scared and jittery? 

Madeleine slowly walked downstairs, hearing the sizzling of pancakes cooking; her father was awake. He had heard her come in but made no effort to acknowledge her presence. Madeleine stood with her hands clasped together in possibly the most awkward stance. She had never been in this situation before, she didn't know how to act. Daniel turned around with his pan, sliding the pancake on to her usual plate. He pushed the plate towards her along with her mug of coffee. "Good morning." 

Madeleine was silent. What did that mean? "Morning." She muttered, still in utter confusion and picked up her breakfast and took it to the table with her. Madeleine looked at her father, who's back was to her again. She opened her mouth, wondering if she should say anything. She cut her pancakes in silence but only felt sick when she tried to eat them. Instead, she ate small bites, wanting at least some food in her stomach before she left. "I'm sorry for coming home like that, I didn't think I would drink." 

He turned around. "Don't be sorry. I'm not mad."

"You're not?" Madeleine asked and Daniel shook his head. The silence was killing her, it was killing both of them. "Are we going to talk about yesterday?" 

Daniel sighed. Now the question was asked, he knew he had to answer, he had to answer honestly. Or at least as best he could. "Madeleine." He turned to face her. "There are somethings I haven't told you and I really want to but you are still a teenager. I don't want your life to change yet, you've only just started enjoying yourself." 

Madeleine looked down, understanding what he was saying. She breathed in and asked, "Is one of the things, perhaps, that I'm a witch." 

Daniel was taken back. His eyes blinked rapidly. His mouth opened to ask where on god's green earth she had gotten that information from. Madeleine answered him before he could speak. "Bonnie told me last night. She's a witch too. I didn't believe her at first but you've been acting so strange, I thought I'd take a shot in the dark."

"Umm," Was all Daniel could say. There was no point in hiding it anymore. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

Madeleine shrugged. "It's fine, I get it. You just wanted to protect me, right?" 

Daniel nodded. All he ever wanted to do is protect her. "Does that make you-?"

He shook his head. "Your mother." 

All Madeleine could do was nod. She didn't want to feel or even think but right now all she cared about was getting the truth from her father, no matter how bizarre. She looked down at her watch, realising the time. "I have to go to meet Caroline, but you'll tell me everything later?"