18 - FOUNDER'S DAY

BORN TO DIE
FOUNDER'S DAY

MADELEINE HATED FOUNDER'S DAY

MADELEINE HATED FOUNDER'S DAY. Charlotte loved it. She loved all town events but especially Founder's Day. She loved dressing up in a big ball gown and having the whole town kiss her feet. She loved the apple pastries that Mrs Kim made every year and the group karaoke that the cheerleading squad took part in every year, singing the same song every time, All Star by Smash Mouth. Charlotte loved the town because she was the heart of the town. She was the one who Carol Lockwood always turned to, to organise fundraisers, take part in parades and host charity nights. Charlotte saw the beauty in Mystic Falls. Madeleine had a hard time doing it, especially now she saw the dark side of the town. It felt wrong being here without her.

Because Madeleine stupidly took part in Miss Mystic Falls against her will, she was now obligated to stand on the Founder's float and wave at the adoring town. She stared at herself in the mirror as Bonnie cinched in her waist. Madeleine's eyes were vacant. All she could think about in this moment was how she didn't deserve to be here. How many people she had lost and for what? To stand on a float, wasting her life? She felt ridiculous in her 19th century dress and big hair.

Bonnie tried her best to be there for Madeleine. Madeleine was grateful but she would've appreciated it more if she didn't know that she was Bonnie's second choice. She couldn't bare being around Elena and her vampire companions, so she had no choice but to keep in Madeleine's company. Madeleine couldn't be all that hurt about it. She had called Bonnie because she had no one else. Caroline still wouldn't speak to her.

"You look amazing." Bonnie complimented the girl from over her shoulder. She tied a neat bow in the back of her dress and moved to sit down on the girl's bed. Madeleine didn't say anything. Bonnie noticed how rigid she had become, and it wasn't just from the corset. "Are you okay?"

Madeleine took a deep breath which was extremely difficult to do in a corset. She suppressed a wince as she rubbed her hands on her dress. "I'm fine."

Bonnie didn't believe her. Madeleine endured her stare for a little longer before giving in. "All of this... it's difficult for me."

"What's difficult?" Bonnie asked with genuine intrigue and concern. She too had felt the pressures of the past few months.

Madeleine sighed. Opening up made her uncomfortable. "Just...everything. Witches, vampires, the curse, people dying, being alone."

Madeleine laughed so she wouldn't cry. Bonnie's eyes softened at her words. She had no idea Madeleine felt this way. "You're not alone."

Madeleine laughed again. It was all she could do to not cry. "I don't have anything. My best friend is dead, my dad is never home trying to save me from myself, my ex-boyfriend was a psychotic vampire. What do I have, Bonnie?"