19 - THE RETURN

BORN TO DIE
THE RETURN

THERE WAS NO TIME TO CELEBRATE THEIR SUCCESS

THERE WAS NO TIME TO CELEBRATE THEIR SUCCESS. After saving Damon from the fire, Madeleine felt on a high, but it quickly crashed with the news that Caroline was in the hospital. Madeleine didn't know if Caroline even wanted her by her side at this moment but with her life in danger, Madeleine threw rational thinking out the window. She knew what it was like to lose a best friend.

The first time around she didn't go through the looming fear of losing. When Nate revealed that he had killed Charlotte, Madeleine had never felt pain like that before. But it was done. She couldn't do anything to save her. But with Caroline, it was different. Her life hung in the balance, and it was terrifying to watch. Madeleine hated that fear. The prospect of losing someone else weighed on her mind.

Madeleine practically ran into the hospital. Familiar faces swarmed the waiting room. Madeleine reached for the first person she saw. "Matt! What happened?"

Matt looked sullen, sitting alone by Caroline's door. The boy had been sitting by her door since they arrived. His eyes were brimmed with tears when he spoke. "We were driving, and Tyler heard this noise and he got- he got, like, this migraine or something, and he lost control of the car and I- I thought that Caroline was fine, and then- and then she wasn't."

"But she's going to be okay, right?" Madeleine asked with hope in her voice. Matt answered her only with a painful look in his eyes. Madeleine felt her hope crush with a painful jab.

Madeleine dropped her head to her hands. Matt removed himself from the year, not being able to handle the grief around him. People were already mourning Caroline before the worst even happened.

"What are you doing here?" Madeleine lifted her head, shocked to find that the crud tone came from Bonnie.

"I'm here to see Caroline." Bonnie didn't say anything, but Madeleine could feel the distain radiating off her. Not long before this, her and Bonnie used to be close friends. Two beginner witches scared of the future and themselves teamed up against the world. Now Bonnie had found herself and Madeleine was once again, alone.

"You should go." Madeleine couldn't believe Bonnie was saying this. Surely, they could put aside their differences for the sake of Caroline.

"What happened, Bonnie?"

"You sided with them." The brunette gritted through her teeth.

"Because you lied and put everyone in danger." Madeleine stood from her seat. She wasn't going to let Bonnie make her the bad guy.

"I'm not going to apologise for doing the right thing." Bonnie declared.

Madeleine scoffed. "I'm not either."

To save the both of them from themselves, Elena was next to jog through the building in search for her best friends. Elena stopped in front of the two witches and asked the fateful question. "How's Caroline?"