23 - KILL OR BE KILLED

BORN TO DIE
KILL OR BE KILLED

MYSTIC FALLS MAY BE A SMALL TOWN BUT THERE IS NEVER A SHORTAGE OF THINGS TO DO

MYSTIC FALLS MAY BE A SMALL TOWN BUT THERE IS NEVER A SHORTAGE OF THINGS TO DO. The town should be given an award for its outstanding number of community based activities. From dances to fundraisers to historical parades to today, the new public park that conveniently had the whole town volunteering to help. Much less volunteering than Carol Lockwood releasing an official statement that she expected everyone to be there.

After Madeleine's breakdown last night, she felt that she needed to bounce back on her feet. She could only cry once a month before feeling weak and deflated. Her father was special, he was allowed to see her cry but she didn't want him getting it in his head that she needed mollycoddled. Even though they had agreed that Daniel would be more open about his work and take time to be there for Madeleine when she needed him, she also needed her own life. Besides he didn't need to be involved in all this vampire mess too.

Elena and Stefan enacted their plan to fake break up in front of Caroline which was a success which she knew from a quick message from Elena, a message that also informed her that despite protest from literally everyone, Damon decided to attack Mason Lockwood. So now they can add his name to the never ending list of enemies.

The park itself was packed. Carol did a good job at enticing fear in the community to actually show up. Madeleine showed up alone. She called Caroline last night to make sure she was okay and gossip about the break up that she was "always expecting". She agreed to meet Caroline at the park along with everyone else. When she got there Caroline and Elena were already there painting fences while Stefan dealt with the Mason problem.

"Hey." Madeleine greeted as she approached the two girls. They both smiled in response. "What's going on?"

"Nothing. Just ranting about my mother trying to be mom of the year just when I'm trying to avoid her the most." Caroline explained.

Madeleine knelt down next to Elena and dipped a paintbrush into the dark brown paint that was decorating the fencing. "Caroline, have you ever considered telling your mom the truth?"

"Are you kidding?" Caroline laughed. "She'd kill me. Actually kill me."

Madeleine was silent. All things considered, she truly felt bad for Caroline. Madeleine may have had issues with her father but she had no idea what it was like to have a mother that might want you dead. She didn't belittle any fear that Caroline had.

"What about you?" Elena asked the witch. "Any more news on the 'one day destroy the world' situation?"

Madeleine sighed. She was sick of having no answers. "Nothing. My dad's working his ass of trying to find something but I don't know. Sometimes it feels like a waste of time."

"Don't say that." Elena said sternly. Her face softened. "We'll find something."

"Yeah." The witch agreed flatly. "So how are things with you and Stefan?"