26 - ROSE

BORN TO DIE
ROSE

MADELEINE WOKE WITH AN UNBEARABLE AMOUNT OF PAIN IN HER HEAD

MADELEINE WOKE WITH AN UNBEARABLE AMOUNT OF PAIN IN HER HEAD. As soon as she regained consciousness the pain she felt the pain spread from her temple to her forehead. She brought her hand to the side of her face. At contact, she flinched. Madeleine was startled to find her head dripping with blood. That explained the pain. Madeleine pushed herself up from the couch. She wasn't at home. The couch she was lying on looked like something a grandmother would own. It was brown, paisley and tattered. As Madeleine sat up, her leg kicked another. The body stirred and groaned. Madeleine looked over and stretched out on the other side of the couch was Elena. Madeleine gasped and crawled over to Elena and began shaking her awake. 

"Elena? Elena. Wake up." The brunette groaned in pain but eventually her eyes opened. Elena looked at Madeleine confused. And then she remembered. She remembered watching Madeleine's head hit that car. She remembered being dragged into a van and Madeleine stuffed in after her. 

"Madeleine?" Elena sat up. "Where are we?"

The room was huge but nothing was furnished. The couch they were on was one of few things that decorated this room and everything else was covered in tarps. This was hardly a home. So where were they? Or more importantly, who were they with? Two voices spoke from another room. Madeleine and Elena looked at each other. They listened in. "So, you called him?"

"No, I called one of his contacts. You know how this works." The voices were both English. One male, one female. 

"Did you or did you not get the message to Elijah?" The male voice asked, sounding incredibly irritable. Elijah? The two girls looked at each other in confusion as if to ask if either of them recognised the name. Elena pointed to the exit. Madeleine nodded her head. They both stood up. Little by little, they both stepped towards the voices, trying to make as little sound as possible. 

"They say he got it." The voices continued.

"Wonderful. And what?"

"So, that's it, Trevor. He either got it or he didn't. We just have to wait."

Elena and Madeleine peaked around the doorway. Their two kidnappers were in the room adjacent to them. There was no way they could get past them without being unnoticed but they had to try. "Look, it's not too late. We can leave them here. We don't have to go through with this."

"I'm sick of running."

"Yeah? Well running keeps us from dying." The male, Madeleine assumed was Trevor, exclaimed loudly.

"Elijah's old school. If he accepts our deal, we're free."

Their luck was going too well because then the floor creaked under Elena's feet which caught the kidnapper's attention. They snapped their attention to the girls. The female vamp-sped towards them. "There's nothing around here for miles. If either of you think you're getting out, you're tragically wrong. Understand?"